Viburnum

LellieGd

Location (City and/or State)
Bardonia
My Russian tortoise got into a viburnum bush and I caught her early on but she did eat maybe 6 of those little flowers. Not the fruit which I know could potentially be mildly toxic depending on the species. Should I be worried or will she be alright? She ate more kale when we went back inside and so far looks ok but it’s only been like 15 mins.

TisMary

Location (City and/or State)
New York
My Russian tortoise got into a viburnum bush and I caught her early on but she did eat maybe 6 of those little flowers. Not the fruit which I know could potentially be mildly toxic depending on the species. Should I be worried or will she be alright? She ate more kale when we went back inside and so far looks ok but it’s only been like 15 mins.
Hi @LellieGd! I wouldn't let her eat any more of it at least for the time being. Hopefully, others will weigh in here. I can't find anything that makes me freak out - looks like GI upset is the biggest risk. Sounds to me like it's "your call". Do you know what species of viburnum you have? I take it you are in Bardonia NY?

Here's what I found. The Tortoise Table Plant Database says Do Not Feed, but it seems quite conservative to me as they mention that the berries are "mildly toxic", but recommends against feeding vibrurnum altogether. I did some further research on - heaven forbid ? - google and found some more references for you to look at.

For general reference, here is a good site US Wildflower's Database of Wildflowers for New York . Here is a page from the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center that specifically addresses Viburnum and while that post is a bit old, it cites several other sources as to toxicity of viburnum. This page Are Viburnum Poisonous? lists symptoms of viburnum poisoning, as well as a number for a Pet Poison Hotline.