Vet visits

Amy Spino

5 Year Member
Just curious...how often do you guys take your turtle to the Vet? Timmy is a 45+ years old Box Turtle and I’m taking him in to the vet next Friday. Mostly because I’m afraid to clip his nails, but they’ll do a full blood panel and general exam. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I never take any of mine unless there is a major problem that I need prescription meds to solve. Since this doesn't happen, I have no need to take them in.

Be careful. Most vets don't know turtles or tortoises. They go in the back and read vet hand books, or vet websites nowadays, and then come back and proclaim: "Vitamin injection", and or "Calcium injection", when your animal needs neither, and then they hand you a big bill. Many of them will give you bad care advice to go right along with your big bill. Vets have their place and are useful for some things. Some vets are fantastic with Chelonia, but these are very few and far between throughout the country. Many proclaim themselves to be good, and then in the next breath want to do a "vitamin injection", which is a clear indication that they don't know much about torts. Think long and hard about what you let them do. Many of them do more harm than good.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have only taken one of mine when I thought she was egg bound.
You would be best to not let them do anything but cut the nails unless there are other problems. Like Tom said, most know nothing about torts and turts.
There are lots of videos to show how to trim nails and beaks.
In fact post a pic of the nails and we can let you know if they even need cutting. You also can try filling them.
Added flat ruff surfaces like cement pavers to eat and walk on in the enclosure will help keep toes and beaks filed down.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also do not bring any of my tortoises or lizards to my vet unless I know that there is an issue that is beyond my knowledge.
Routine inspections of the animals is key.
Monthly weight checks and monitoring the poop are very telling....
And MAKE SURE that your vet actually understands tortoise physiology.
Sadly, many. Maybe most will gladly take your money. Then learn at your animals expense.