Vet visit in Las Vegas

Turtle Power

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hi guys. I posted on here a couple weeks I was looking for a sulcata and found one here I got from someone moving out of state, his name is Sherman, he seems pretty healthy and active and no problem with eating but taking him for his first vet visit today. I looked on the vet list and only seen one for Las Vegas, is this the only one you would recommend? Because I seen another resource with a bunch at desert tortoise.org, Just want to know what to have him checked for? I was getting a fecal exam done but what else if anything should I ask for? He is a 7 year old sulcata with some pyramiding and bottom shell abrasions but besides that seems in good shape. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• 20160413_104643.jpg
    20160413_104643.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I generally only bring in tortoises that are outwardly in need of help. Maybe worms in the poop. Too little weight or signs of an infection, etc.
Generally they will weigh it, do a fecal test. Report that there are worms in the sample and then sell you a remedy.
(Not that all vets are dishonest)
If it's eating well, is heavy and has clear, alert eyes and is walking strongly. I wouldn't even go.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your vet suggests a vitamin a,d,e injection respectfully decline. Too often they overdose the vitamin a and causes a big problem with the tortoise.

Turtle Power

Las Vegas, NV
Ok. He seems active and alert so I will hold off 9n the visit. Also looked at his poop but didn't see any worms, but then again I am not sure how visible they would be to the naked eye. Would I be able to see them easily?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ok. He seems active and alert so I will hold off 9n the visit. Also looked at his poop but didn't see any worms, but then again I am not sure how visible they would be to the naked eye. Would I be able to see them easily?
Even if a tortoise has a small load of worms (And a lot of them do) only the eggs get passed as part of the worm life cycle. If the load was heavy, then you would see whitish worms in the poop. They are visible and kind of shocking to see. The eggs are so tiny that even under a small microscope you might over look them.