Vet Visit #1

jobroyo

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello everyone, I need some guidance here.
The previous owner of my Russian Tortoise got her from Petco and has NEVER taken her to the vet. I have a vet already set up to see her (not the appointment, but the vet herself) and I am wondering what exactly I should be asking about. I have no idea how old she is, but I know she probably isn't in the greatest of shape. I am absolutely going to bring up parasites and respiratory issues. Thanks!

I DO NOT CURRENTLY HAVE MY RUSSIAN- I WILL BE PICKING HER UP IN A FEW WEEKS OR SOONER. MY ENCLOSURE IS NOT SET UP YET, AND THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAS HER IN A 10 GALLON GLASS TANK, WHICH I KNOW IS NOT THE BEST.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a stool sample in to check for parasites and worms but like Yvonne said unless you think he's sick it's not necessary. I know when you get a new puppy you take it in to have it checked out immediately so I guess it wouldn't hurt anything (except your wallet). If he's not making noises when he breathes, got an overgrown beak, got puffy or watery eyes or snotty nose I wouldn't see a need for a vet.

jobroyo

Oregon
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a stool sample in to check for parasites and worms but like Yvonne said unless you think he's sick it's not necessary. I know when you get a new puppy you take it in to have it checked out immediately so I guess it wouldn't hurt anything (except your wallet). If he's not making noises when he breathes, got an overgrown beak, got puffy or watery eyes or snotty nose I wouldn't see a need for a vet.
Hmm, okay. I know for a fact she is going to have some vitamin deficiencies, but I will look out for those things too!!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
You can take care of a vitamin deficiency with the proper lighting (an hour of direct sun every couple days or proper bulbs) and proper Variety of food. before long your tortoise is going to be healthier than it's ever been.