Vet checkups

Jakoob1190

Location (City and/or State)
St Austell
Hello again! I have a 1 and a half year old horsfield and am always paranoid about his health, whenever he does something different than usual, I spend hours on the internet trying to find an explanation. I want to make sure he is not I'll and they I have been taking good care of him, so I want to go to the vet with him for a check up. I found a good one about three quarters of an hour away from us. However, I have read that tortoises can get very stressed on long car rides and that it could do more harm than good. Should I go to the vet for a checkup or not, and if so when and how often should I be going? Thank you.

Melis

Maryland
Hello! Most usually recommend vet visits only when something is wrong. This is a good place to get advice when you think something may be wrong, with lots of experienced members to help decide when a vet visit may be necessary.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most vets don't know much about tortoises or tortoise care. Most of them refer to a handbook or website in the back area, and recommend things that are useless or detrimental.

Most tortoises, if fed and cared for properly, will never need vet care.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Stressing over tortoise health is pretty normal for me and lots of others so you are not alone. They like to keep us guessing! This forum is the BEST resource to calm your fears and to be sure you're doing things right.
I recommend taking some photos of your tort and his enclosure for us to see. If you have any potential problems we can spot them and help you give the best care. Also tell us about your temperatures, lights, diet, soaking routine etc.
When he does something weird post about it. You'll probably find that it isn't so weird after all.

cdr

Delaware
Hello All,
I am very grateful to the members of this forum. I have been able to research and find answers to all of my questions and concerns.
Our RT, Oliver has been with us for a year, we took him to the vet when we first brought him home. Of course, he had worms, but it was quickly cured. We then took Oliver again for a 6 month checkup, just as we would our dog. After 2 hours of dumping information on the vet, we decided it was a waste of our time. It was far more educational for them than us. Hopefully, it helped them with their clients.
I searched today on the forum, vet visits and how often, and that is a typical question I ask myself.
Oliver is due, according to them for a 6 month check up, but I am not sure if we need to take him. Preventive care?
We have a 14 year old dog, 3 hermit crabs for 11 years, and Oliver.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I don't think a check-up is needed every 6 months for a tortoise. I only take my torts when there's a concern or they are showing symptoms that something is wrong. I have an awesome reptile vet who really knows tortoises and they never once told me any of mine are due for a regular check-up.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Get yourself an inexpensive digital countertop scale.
About every 2 or 3 months give your tortoise a GOOD looking over and get a weight.
Weight loss or anything that looks unusual might be a reason to see a tortoise vet.
Look at the eyes, feet, shell and make sure that he can stand and walk normally. And makes no noises breathing or has unusual discharge from the eyes or nose.
Also the poop. You can tell a lot by paying a little attention to the poop. Make sure it looks more or less the same as "usual".
Otherwise, I also do not generally spend the money. Some small issues you can even handle yourself.
They are very sturdy animals if cared for correctly.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Get yourself an inexpensive digital countertop scale.
About every 2 or 3 months give your tortoise a GOOD looking over and get a weight.
Weight loss or anything that looks unusual might be a reason to see a tortoise vet.
Look at the eyes, feet, shell and make sure that he can stand and walk normally. And makes no noises breathing or has unusual discharge from the eyes or nose.
Also the poop. You can tell a lot by paying a little attention to the poop. Make sure it looks more or less the same as "usual".
Otherwise, I also do not generally spend the money. Some small issues you can even handle yourself.
They are very sturdy animals if cared for correctly.

This ... I have a nice quality scale and each Monday after I've given my redfoot his daily soak, I inspect him from snout to tail, top and bottom, then weigh him ... after this, I give his shell its weekly oiling.

I think that this weekly check-in, in combination with a varied feeding schedule and having his enclosure dialed in in terms of temperature and humidity, help to insure his well-being.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Being in the UK, you will find more tortoise qualified vets to help you than we have here in the U.S. It's a good idea to go one time to get a feel for the vet . . . does he/she really know what he's talking about, etc. And to get your tortoise's stats set up on a chart, so that when/if he ever gets sick, you have the initial visit out of the way.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I agree with Yvonne. Hopefully you will never need a vet but it’s good to already have one if you do.

Your Russian will be fine with a trip to the vet; less than an hour’s drive isn’t a long trip. He won’t love it but it won’t do him any harm.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
As long as they are eating, pooping, drinking, have clear eyes and no nasal discharge they should be in tip top shape. I only go to the vet for end of season worm checks when they come indoors for the winter. Even then I have to be clear, assertive and direct on what I would like them to do, otherwise the vets office will just push a bunch of unnecessary treatments. You really need to be your tort's advocate in these scenarios. The car ride shouldn't be a problem, be sure to pack lots of paper towels or newspaper they poop a lot in the car, and I mean ALOT!

cdr

Delaware
Well said. I am going to follow the same path with our vet, clear and direct. I think it is good idea for Oliver to have his physical after he has been outside for the summer months.

Thank you all again for the support!