Very Young Tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hey,
So I've now got a tube UV light. Will it be too much if I also kept my UV spot bulb in there for his basking light. At least until the bulb blows?
If you mean the MVB (all in one bulb) as well as the tube, I wouldn't use both together, so if the mvb is your only heat source then use that until you have the rest sorted and follow Toms advice in post 10.

The clamp you are using is unreliable and they have been known to fail so could burn the tort and even cause house fires so try to hang it instead. That way you can adjust the temps under by raising or lowering it. I use a stone or upturned bowl about the same height of my tort under lamps and test the temp on it until I get the required basking temps. The caresheet will tell you what the temps should be.

Spot basking bulbs can be very intense - flood bulbs are best for basking.
You can't get incandescent bulbs in the UK anymore, but Arcadia have a flood basking bulb for £3 - £5

For night and extra heat when needed, a che run through a thermostat can be used because that just gives heat without light - torts need darkness to sleep. The thermostat will keep the temps even and make sure the tort doesn't overheat. They last for years. I got both at The Range for about £50 but you can get them online too.
Coiled or looped cfl type bulbs damage tort eyes so shouldn't be used.
A large viv is better for babies so that you have more control over the heat and humidity, or maybe get a mini portable greenhouse to put over the top of what you have.
It all sounds over whelming and expensive at first but its in the best interests of the tort and will save you having steep vet bills in the long run.

Adamjsp

Location (City and/or State)
Dawlish
If you mean the MVB (all in one bulb) as well as the tube, I wouldn't use both together, so if the mvb is your only heat source then use that until you have the rest sorted and follow Toms advice in post 10.

The clamp you are using is unreliable and they have been known to fail so could burn the tort and even cause house fires so try to hang it instead. That way you can adjust the temps under by raising or lowering it. I use a stone or upturned bowl about the same height of my tort under lamps and test the temp on it until I get the required basking temps. The caresheet will tell you what the temps should be.

Spot basking bulbs can be very intense - flood bulbs are best for basking.
You can't get incandescent bulbs in the UK anymore, but Arcadia have a flood basking bulb for £3 - £5

For night and extra heat when needed, a che run through a thermostat can be used because that just gives heat without light - torts need darkness to sleep. The thermostat will keep the temps even and make sure the tort doesn't overheat. They last for years. I got both at The Range for about £50 but you can get them online too.
Coiled or looped cfl type bulbs damage tort eyes so shouldn't be used.
A large viv is better for babies so that you have more control over the heat and humidity, or maybe get a mini portable greenhouse to put over the top of what you have.
It all sounds over whelming and expensive at first but its in the best interests of the tort and will save you having steep vet bills in the long run.
Thanks for this it's been so helpful. I've ordered that bulb you mentioned.

He's really come out of his shell (excuse the pun) with all this information. I feel alot more confident now.