Very upsetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikaO

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I am sorry please accept my condolences, even tough words more than likely seem empty at this time. I always cringe when I see the words vitamin A shots, from all of the stories here they always seem to end bad. I believe your tortoise had a real bad beginning and as sad as it may be to hear it was only a matter of time no matter how hard you tried. It seems like you were doing great but with a bad beginning I doubt anything could have been done, when you are ready ( no rush) We have lots of leopard breeders here, please check them out when you are ready.

Thank you dmmj. It might seem too quick to some, but I will want to look into getting a new leopard once we return from Africa in July. I love all turtles and tortoises but I am just in love with the African beeds the most (and maybe the aldabras when I am rich and can house such monsters). I will want a yearling rather than a hatchling, and of course our ideal new tort be be the most beautiful and healthy tort on earth :0)
Thank you for you remarks and I am so touched by the sincerity and willingness to help of everyone on here.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Sorry I meant though instead of tough in the above post. As for rushing do what ever feels best to you some people wait, others jump right back in, some never get another one. How ever you feel like handling is what is best for you.

ErikaO

5 Year Member
I know this might sound silly to some, but I know many on here will understand; for my daughters Amara 14, and Sorayah 12, we will be having a little burial service for Kanzi this evening. The girls have placed Kanzi's little body in a decorated jewelry box, which we will bury in our back yard next to our pond, in the strawberry garden. My son Lemuel 16, will play his ukelele for us. It only seems right to take the time to give closure to kiddos who cherish their pets as family members.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I am so sorry, your post sounded very much like my first foray into tortoise keeping. I started with two Leopard babies who failed before my eyes, I read everything on the forum, stated up late, and lost both of them. It took me a week to put their box away. A few months later I adopted a Russian, full grown and healthy. We've had Oscar for two years now and I've learned so much. I so badly want a Leo, but will wait for a yearling from a reputable breeder. Just like you, I'll know when it's time. I'm glad you are having a service for you little guy. Its good for everyone. I am sorry he's gone.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
ErikaO said:
I know this might sound silly to some, but I know many on here will understand; for my daughters Amara 14, and Sorayah 12, we will be having a little burial service for Kanzi this evening. The girls have placed Kanzi's little body in a decorated jewelry box, which we will bury in our back yard next to our pond, in the strawberry garden. My son Lemuel 16, will play his ukelele for us. It only seems right to take the time to give closure to kiddos who cherish their pets as family members.

I'm so sorry you all had to go through this. Just want to say....what a beautiful thing you are doing with your children. I think you are teaching them that every life is a valuable one and I had to cry a little when I read your post, it was that beautiful to me.

ErikaO

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone, for all the condolences and well-wishes. Our little service to say our good-byes was so sweet. My girls each placed something special to them in the little jewelry box with Kanzi, then they each clipped flowers from our flower garden and placed them in the little burial hole with Kanzi's box. Then my yougest daughter said a little prayer, thanking God for lending Kanzi to us for as long as He did, and asked for all of our pets and future pets to be healthy. All the while, my son played his ukelele softly.

Now, time to heal.......thank you everyone!!

ErikaO

5 Year Member
@ terryo: thank you, yes, I try to establish the idea that all that God gives to us we are to be good stewards of, even when its gone. This is just expected from my children now. And its kind of nice because they share their values with their friends who have been very receptive to understanding.

@ lynnedit: thank you, I like to think I have a beautiful family too. For as much ugliness as they have to see everyday around them, I am glad that they can feel that they have been brought up to keep their beauty along the way. It teaches them to be respectful to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.