Very Upset! What would you do?

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
So I am besides myself right now trying to figure out how to handle this. My Lola is missing and I am 99.8% sure she was stollen but I can't prove it.
Last week we had our fence replaced and had workers here all week. Each day I take my Russians out side to hang out and bring them in at night. Some of the workers would ask a question about them but otherwise they were ignored (they are in a closed enclosure on the side of the house were the fence was being built).
Friday we noticed a problem with the fence and there were lots of phone calls and tension raised. I feed all 3 of the torts around 10am. At 7 when I went to pull them all in, Lola was gone. She's too large to dig out or under really, she's pretty lazy. She is my friendliest tort and comes to any human thinking we all have food. I can't prove they took her but I have torn my whole yard apart, she's not here.
I called the owner of the fence company and asked him to ask his workers "if anyone may have seen her on Friday" and just got an "I'll ask" response, but he never responded after that. They are coming today to fix their mistakes and I don't know how to approach the issue. Please help, what would you do?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That is a really, really horrible situation, i feel physically sick for you.
Firstly,though, even lazy Russians are famous escape artists, so it must remain a possibility that the workers are innocent.
Having said that a word to them is necessary.
Watch for their reactions, liars are usually fairly easy to spot.
I'd perhaps approach it by asking them, if by any chance, they'd noticed the problem with the fence and seen any of the tortoises.
Explain to them how devastated you are and sob if you can.
watch their reactions and if necessary offer a reward for the return of the tortoise.
I am so, so sorry this has happened and will be hoping fervently that you recover dear Lola.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would ask the workers if they've saw her on Friday. beyond that file police report just in case. put up flyers post an ad on Craigslist offer rewards for workers. not much more I can think them a small reward you don't want them thinking to it's valuable. it's sort of like paying the ransom but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
99% of the time when I can't find a tortoise, it is right there in the enclosure, and I've made all sorts of assumptions. I'll bet that your tortoise is dug down 8-10" deep somewhere in there and you just haven't found her.

Time has taught me to slow down and not jump to conclusions so quickly. Its possible that she was stolen by somebody, but its more likely that she pulled the typical russian disappearing act on you. They are VERY good at this.

I'm still looking for 4 of my russians right now that decided to hibernate early in their outdoor cage. They are in a locked inescapable cage, so I know that no one stole them, but I sure can't find them… yet.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Normally I would agree with you Tom and if it was any of the other Russians I would say yes, they are there somewhere. However Lola is so people oriented and set in her routine that my mothers instinct is saying she's not here.

None of the workers showed up today (2nd day in a row... terrible fence company, warring to all in the Bay Area, don't use these guys). So I will have to wait another day to ask in person.

My male digs out frequently, he seems to think theres food or a female on the other side of every fence he meets. That I expect from him. My smaller female just digs to hide and she diggs deep, so when she goes missing for a few days I again don't worry. Lola is my baby, all 950 grams of her :) .

I will be patient (and by that i mean pacing the yard over and over) for a few more days. All of the neighbors know we have torts, so hopefully if anyone found one they'd know right away where they belong.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I would ask the workers if they've saw her on Friday. beyond that file police report just in case. put up flyers post an ad on Craigslist offer rewards for workers. not much more I can think them a small reward you don't want them thinking to it's valuable. it's sort of like paying the ransom but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do
I am keeping an eye on craigslist in case she pops up there. I also put up a missing alert to my neighbors on nextdoor.com. Not sure I can file a police report with no proof. Ugh, frustrating.

AnimalLady

I am so sorry this happened. Wow, my hopes are she decided to be a little frisky and dug herself down. Man, i'm really sad for you. I hope with all my might you find her :(

Here's some find a tort dust <3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry this happened. I hope she pulled a fast one on you and is just hiding. Maybe when you ask the fence guys if they had seen your torts out, say something like, the one that is missing is going to just die if she is not found as she needs a very expensive medication to stay alive. I sure hope I can find her soon. Maybe if she was stolen, they will bring her back and dump her inside your fence. They are not going to want to pay for an expensive medication, that doesn't exist anyway. Also, don't give them a name of any medication. If one ask what medication, I would make him suspect number one. Or, come up with some other kind of story that makes it very unpleasant to have her. Good luck, keep us posted.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
I'm sooo sorry to hear this - I will keep my fingers crossed that she's found. Maybe ask the workers, when/if they show up to work, not only if they've seen her but maybe if they can keep an eye out for her as well, get them also involved in her search - maybe put up signs and mention a reward if she's found. Keep us posted -- we have our fingers crossed for you and hope we hear good news :(

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Nope, just came back in from looking again. Still no signs, and yet again...no fence guys as of yet. I am going offer a reward to the first one that finds her. I just want her back.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My tort is called Lola too.
I'm so sorry to hear this what a horrible situation for you to be in.
Hopefully she is just hiding. Can you leave some of her favourite food around to entice her out just in case she is?
If you are convinced one of the workmen has her when you speak to them be a little liberal with the truth and say something like
you are worried about her because she needs special expensive meds and diet etc or say one of your neighbours has cctv and is checking the tape for you and offer a reward. Lola may not seem such an attractive acquisition then and they may prefer the reward.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
The workers finally just showed up. I asked the one guy who speaks fairly good english about it, his response was "they hide". I told him she is very sick and will die if I can't find her and offered his guys $50 for the first one to find her.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The workers finally just showed up. I asked the one guy who speaks fairly good english about it, his response was "they hide". I told him she is very sick and will die if I can't find her and offered his guys $50 for the first one to find her.
Hopefully that will be a good incentive for them.
Wishing Lola a safe return.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I hope you find her. I live in Alta Loma California (North of Ontario Airport) and most of my Russian tortoises have dug in for the Winter. Perhaps she has dug in for the Winter and is safe in her enclosure.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
GOT HER! GOT HER! She is was at the opposite end of the yard (so she had been picked up and placed on the other side of a wall, but still in my yard). I am so happy. She looks like she's had a few fun days roaming. Yay.
So happy to hear this!!
Do you think she was 'replaced'?

AnimalLady

YAYAYAYAYAYA!!!

I BETCHA they just put her back.... YAY!! SOOOOO happy for you!!!!!!!!

Can I see a pic of this pretty girl?!

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I think she was picked up and moved unless she climbed a 4 foot wall with out being seen, but judging but the dirt and things stuck to her, I'd say she's been here all week. We have 1/2 acre of heavily planted yard, its a tortoise paradise when they get loose.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think she was picked up and moved unless she climbed a 4 foot wall with out being seen, but judging but the dirt and things stuck to her, I'd say she's been here all week. We have 1/2 acre of heavily planted yard, its a tortoise paradise when they get loose.
I love a happy ending!

So glad she was found.:)