Very sick female Indian Star, can anybody please give me some advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elgin08

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Asia
Just rescued a 5.5inches female indian star tortoise this eveing and she is in very bad condition! Her legs and shell are covered with her own poo poo when I found her.

This poor girl have been abandon by her previous owner in a little cardbox and it must have stave for days before I found her. I've manage to clean her up. However, she looks really weak and refuse to eat.

Can anyone please give me some advise? She really deserve a better life than this.

DSC00147.jpg

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Wow, she was really neglected. I'm not familiar with Stars, but I know others will give you good advice.

I just wanted to say thanks for taking her in and trying to help.
Good luck, I bet she'll come around to eating again soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Elgin: What a pitiful-looking little tortoise!! I'm so glad you found her and were able to take her in.

Once they have reached the anorexic stage, its VERY HARD to get them started eating again. I'm not familiar with the upkeep on Star tortoises, but while you are waiting for a more experience Star-keeper to answer your plea for help, soak the poor little thing in vitamin water. Get some liquid bird vitamins from the pet store and put a few drops in a shallow dish of water. Make sure she can't climb out, and leave her to soak for at least a half hour. Soak as shown above every day for at least a week. Even if she doesn't drink the water, she will absorb some of the nutrients through the thin skin under her throat and around her cloaca (vent). If you can't find liquid bird vitamins, you can use strained human baby food. I use Gerber brand sweet potatoes or carrots. If you can't get her to eat in the next week or so, you might consider trying to find a vet that knows something about tortoises. It looks like you might have to have a feeding tube inserted so she can be fed through the tube. But that's the last resort. Try to find someone who can tell you what the very favorite foods are for a Star tortoise and tempt her with that.

Welcome to the forum, Elgin. I'm sure you'll find the help you need here.

Yvonne

It just occurred to me that maybe she's just shy. Some tortoises won't eat while you are watching them. Put her in front of the food then step quickly out of her sight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Plucky said:
Under her throat and around her cloaca...?
Does every tortoise has this ability?
Does turtle have this kind of ability too?
Lukas

Experienced keepers and vets think I'm a silly old fool when I say that, but I promise you, it works!

Yvonne

Elgin08

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Asia
I am really grateful for all the advise given. I do have exp in raising 'stars', however I have never ever come across one that look that bad before! Had raise the temp up to around 33C since last night, but still it did not even move an inch!

Have also place lots of fruits and veggies just infront of her, but she show no interest at all. There aren't many tort vet in Singapore, the only vet I know will comes in only on Friday. That’s another 3 more days, I really have no idea if she can make it..

I'm thinking if I can actually handfeed her myself, anyone have exp on handfeeding a sick tortoise?

Elgin08

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Asia
Hi guys, thanks for the valuable advices. But still, I've lost her....

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Elgin08 said:
Hi guys, thanks for the valuable advices. But still, I've lost her....

You've lost her? :( Do you mean what I think that means?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Elgin: I'm so sorry! Anyone can see from the picture that she was in pretty bad shape. You did what you could, and at least she was comfortable and safe in her last days!

Yvonne

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry to hear about the loss. The star was lucky to have someone like you who truly cared for her during her last few days.

Elgin08

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Asia
You guys have been really kind, I've buried her behind my apartment. Feel really sad, I cannot believe how and why the previous owner could neglect her like this and she have to suffer so much before her death..

Status
Not open for further replies.