Very sad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub

5 Year Member
Today when i woke up in the morning, i noticed that some one had stolen 1 of my 3 sulcata tortoises from my backyard. He's about 3 years in age and about 9 inches long. He has irregular scutes. If any one has any information about stolen tortoises and what i can do to get him back please let me know. I'm in the san gabriel/rosemead area.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok
Sorry to hear that :( It's so weird that people steal pets. No Chance he has gotten out by himself, right?
Sorry I can't give you any tips on how to find him.

jdub

5 Year Member
Yah there's no way he could of gotten out because they're in a box with a lid at night. This morning, the lid was open. =( To be honest, he's no the prettiest tortoise in the world with his irregular scutes but he means a lot to me. I wondering if there's no other way to locate him. I'm very very sad.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I feel bad. What kind of dirt bag would do that?? I hope you find your tortoise!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I hate hearing stories like this. It really gets me sick. I hope you find your little one and he's OK.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am so sorry to hear this! Call vet's and police and have them keep an eye out. The irregular scutes are actually good in this case because he will be easily identified. Maybe, post pic's in the area saying lost tortoise to put some pressure on the theif. I am just shocked that people do this!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Definately check with the local vets and any tortoise clubs or forums in the area.

martinfre

5 Year Member
Cologne, Germany
sorry to hear that :-(
just strange, that the thief hasn't stolen all threre torts.
sure you didn't forget to close the lid?

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
That's so sad, I hope you find him happy and healthy. Don't forget to check Craigslist too, they may try to sell him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jason:

What makes you think he was stolen rather than escaped? Be sure to look all around. They're good at hiding.

Put up signs on the utility poles and go door-to-door in your neighborhood.

I would think that if someone had stolen one they would have taken all three of them.

I just don't know what possesses people that they have to steal tortoises. They're not that expensive to buy.

Good luck in finding him.

martinfre said:

Hi Martinfre:

Please take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself.

jdub

5 Year Member
Well the reason why i highly suspect my tortoise was stolen is because i usually put them in a box at night outside. The lid was left open this morning. What i narrowed it down to was a kid that was probably going to school in the morning around the time of 7am. They didn't steal all three because they could only carry one. I might be wrong about the suspect being a kid but i'm for sure it was stolen. My dad also combed through the entire backyard. Thank you for all the support guys. I'll be sure to check local vets, forums and craigslist.

emysemys said:
Hi Jason:

What makes you think he was stolen rather than escaped? Be sure to look all around. They're good at hiding.

Put up signs on the utility poles and go door-to-door in your neighborhood.

I would think that if someone had stolen one they would have taken all three of them.

I just don't know what possesses people that they have to steal tortoises. They're not that expensive to buy.

Good luck in finding him.

martinfre said:

Hi Martinfre:

Please take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
If the school is close to you, I'd contact the principal and ask for help. We have a school right behind us and put up with so much $%#$ from the kids walking to and from it drives us crazy. The principal is very sympathetic and helps out as much as she can. If some kid walked into the classroom with a Tortoise, someone would have seen it.

paver1960

5 Year Member
Northern Ohio
Sad to hear. As much as I can, I've always safe guarded my outdoor pens. Just too many people and animals around. Basically, I try to keep as low a profile as possible. People/kids are just naturally attracted to turtles and torts. With easy access to an open pen, I've always had problems with passing kids. Not always easy to conceal your pen from the street or gazing neighboors but I've finally made mine with heavy mesh covers which lock down. Would take wire cutters or bolt cutters to gain entry. Neighboors often aren't a problem but I've contractors working at the neighbors who came over to check things out and then when I was away for the weekend, a couple of turtles disappeared (before the lockdown covers)

Craig

M

Maggie Cummings

That's exactly why I close Bob up at night and use a padlock on the door. Yes, I know he is too big to carry over a fence, but I sleep better knowing he's all locked in. Be sure to let the police know and I would talk to the principle at the school and have him send a note home with each kid asking the parents to make sure their kid doesn't just show up one day with a tortoise. You might print out that notice and make copies so the school doesn't have to print it out. They are more likely to send the note home if you already have a note made for them...I am sorry this happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.