Very productive year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
I've lost count of all of the box turtles that I've accumulated over the years. The pen is so big, it's easy to not see one for a while. It seems that almost every night the past few weeks I'm finding another box turtle nesting. I'm up to over 30 eggs now! I have several ornates that were recently surrendered to me, but they haven't laid yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

IMAG3688-1.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

A picture of their pen.
IMAG0087.jpg

-Matt

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Impressive! Do you feed them, or do they find sufficient food?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm very jealous of that yard Matt!! Just beautiful. How often do you feed them, or do they just find their own food?

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
terryo said:
I'm very jealous of that yard Matt!! Just beautiful. How often do you feed them, or do they just find their own food?

Thanks Terry! I feed them fruits and vegetables, (usually donated to me) about once a week. There are tons of grasshoppers, crickets, worms, ect.. back there to keep them satisfied. I'll walk back there and see a box turtle gulping down a cicada, or a grub worm. I feel there is plenty of space in their pen to support enough of the insects that they eat. Plus I'll throw a few cups of cat food out there as well, they come running for that, ha!!!! My cats go out there and eat with them. :)

-Matt

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
FernandoM said:
dalano73 said:
So, will you be selling some of them once they hatch?

Yeah, will ya' ?

I have sold them in the past, it just depends on who wants them I guess. D' Marcus, you're welcome to have one. :) I don't know how well these guys will ship Fernando, I'll send one your way if you think they won't die in transit.

-Matt

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
matt41gb said:
FernandoM said:
dalano73 said:
So, will you be selling some of them once they hatch?

Yeah, will ya' ?

I have sold them in the past, it just depends on who wants them I guess. D' Marcus, you're welcome to have one. :) I don't know how well these guys will ship Fernando, I'll send one your way if you think they won't die in transit.

-Matt

That would be cool! I've never shipped or have been shipped a tortoise before I wish I could tell you. I've never had a turtle before either.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It will be easier to convince Lea Ann into letting me get a box turtle than a bigger tortoise.:D:D:D

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Very nice, Matt!!
I hope mine start producing more. I have 1 of 4 females that lay. She always has three eggs in a clutch. I am glad to see that is closer to normal.

It's hard to find 3-toeds for sale especially nice looking females.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Since you have such a big yard do you miss some nests and then find a surprise waiting for you later on in the year, I think I would also like to buy one when they hatch.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
dmmj said:
Since you have such a big yard do you miss some nests and then find a surprise waiting for you later on in the year, I think I would also like to buy one when they hatch.

I'm sure that there are several that I've missed. I've gone out there and walked past one laying, who knows how many times before I found it. Last year I was out there in the fall and noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye. I looked over and saw a tiny hatchling walking around. I picked it up and looked at it for a minute and let it go on its way. I'll let you know when they hatch. :)

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.