Very poorly horsefield

Thunderbird 1

Location (City and/or State)
Blackpool lancashire uk
Hi I’m jacqui I live in the uk and I have3 horse fields 2 females and 1 male Shelley the biggest of the females is extremely ill and she’s in the vets at the moment and they are not sure if she is going to make it through the night, I’ve spent a fortune on vet bills and it is causing arguments about the cost just wondered if you had any thoughts on how much is considered enough when there is still hope she will recover.

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
I'm sorry to hear about the situation you and Shelley are going through but I think that kind of decision is something that would be discussed internally. Its super hard to put a price on how much is to be spent on vet bills but what the main focus should be is if the animal will be able to recover enough to have a quality life. Just my two cents though

Thunderbird 1

Blackpool lancashire uk
I'm sorry to hear about the situation you and Shelley are going through but I think that kind of decision is something that would be discussed internally. Its super hard to put a price on how much is to be spent on vet bills but what the main focus should be is if the animal will be able to recover enough to have a quality life. Just my two cents though
The vet isnt sure what the problem is or where the bleeding is coming from but doesnt want to operate because she doesnt think she is strong enough to survive the op it all started 6 weeks ago with her being egg bound but she isnow losing big blood clots but they dont know if its from her womb ir stomach or even bowel theyve checked her feeding tube and they said itsnot that

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Hi I’m jacqui I live in the uk and I have3 horse fields 2 females and 1 male Shelley the biggest of the females is extremely ill and she’s in the vets at the moment and they are not sure if she is going to make it through the night, I’ve spent a fortune on vet bills and it is causing arguments about the cost just wondered if you had any thoughts on how much is considered enough when there is still hope she will recover.

Ill how? Were the three housed together? As for your question, only you can decide that, I will spend whatever I can to ensure my animals wellbeing but there has to be a limit for most of us.

Thunderbird 1

Blackpool lancashire uk
Ill how? Were the three housed together? As for your question, only you can decide that, I will spend whatever I can to ensure my animals wellbeing but there has to be a limit for most of us.
She was egg bound and stayed in the vets 3 weeks ago and being tube fed as she wouldbt eat or drink and has sterted losing bliod clots.the 3 of them have always been housed seperate.ive had them from babies and they are now 8

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
She was egg bound and stayed in the vets 3 weeks ago and being tube fed as she wouldbt eat or drink and has sterted losing bliod clots.the 3 of them have always been housed seperate.ive had them from babies and they are now 8

Damn, sorry to hear this. coming from someone that spent £4.5k on my 14 yr old labrador over the summer, it is so hard to know when to draw the line with a pet. Obviously you have to be responsible to yourself and other dependents in terms of what you can afford, but there are ways to raise money, gofundme works, people love to give a money to animals in need. At some point though, if the animal is suffering and the vets are telling you they dont know what is wrong or how to treat it there is no shame in ending the suffering knowing you did all you reasonably could.

Thunderbird 1

Blackpool lancashire uk
I just feel that I have to keep trying to help her get better no matter what the cost but partner feels that enough is enough and £2000 pound is enough and he doesn’t want me to spend anymore but I feel I have to if she comes out the other end

Thunderbird 1

Blackpool lancashire uk
Damn, sorry to hear this. coming from someone that spent £4.5k on my 14 yr old labrador over the summer, it is so hard to know when to draw the line with a pet. Obviously you have to be responsible to yourself and other dependents in terms of what you can afford, but there are ways to raise money, gofundme works, people love to give a money to animals in need. At some point though, if the animal is suffering and the vets are telling you they dont know what is wrong or how to treat it there is no shame in ending the suffering knowing you did all you reasonably could.
The vet has just phoned me for the 4th time saying they have done a scan which is another £160 but it hasn’t helped they said she has been fed 3 ml of intensive care food via her tube and they are going to give her an injection similar to human txa to help stem the bleeding but they think it’s her womb but said it could be something to do with the 3 eggs she’s got inside her

Thunderbird 1

Blackpool lancashire uk
How is your Labrador now

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
How is your Labrador now

He is good, the operation was tieback surgery, he was really struggling with his breathing. He still has lots of old age problems and theyre not getting better but the op definately bought him some time.

sorry about your situation, I know its hard.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
The vet has just phoned me for the 4th time saying they have done a scan which is another £160 but it hasn’t helped they said she has been fed 3 ml of intensive care food via her tube and they are going to give her an injection similar to human txa to help stem the bleeding but they think it’s her womb but said it could be something to do with the 3 eggs she’s got inside her
I wonder if you have considered the quality of life side of this. I don't know all the details of your tort's health situation, but it sounds dire enough that it makes me wonder what life would be like for her if they "save" her...

Please know that I am holding you and your girl on my heart.

Thunderbird 1

Blackpool lancashire uk
Sorry for You and Shelley. I hope she gets well soon.
Thank you so much I’m just hoping that she gains enough strength so they can operate.which in effect is going to be very expensive but if it would be detrimental to her quality of life I wouldn’t let her have the op but the vet assures me it won’t be as long as she survives the op.

Thunderbird 1

Blackpool lancashire uk
He is good, the operation was tieback surgery, he was really struggling with his breathing. He still has lots of old age problems and theyre not getting better but the op definately bought him some time.

sorry about your situation, I know its hard.
Well I haven’t had a phone call so she has made it this far fingers crossed,my partner thinks it’s all about the money and should have her put to sleep but I still feel she’s hanging in there and while there is hope I can’t do it,I’ve been a nurse for 35 years so I still believe where there’s hope it’s not got a price tag.thank you so much and I’m so glad your Labrador is still with you

Thunderbird 1

Blackpool lancashire uk
I wonder if you have considered the quality of life side of this. I don't know all the details of your tort's health situation, but it sounds dire enough that it makes me wonder what life would be like for her if they "save" her...

Please know that I am holding you and your girl on my heart.
Thank you so much the vet seems to think the operation will let us know what can be done and what quality of life she would have,

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So sorry to read this, sounds as if you did everything possible to try to save her.
It's not much consolation but she isn't suffering anymore.
Any idea what causes torts to become egg bound?