Very Lethargic Russian

zoe98love

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
My Russian, Vlad, is being very lethargic and not like himself at all.
I had written it off during the winter months since the winter blues are common in his species, and he was most likely experiencing the pull to hibernate. I did my best to keep him awake through the usual routine; raised temps, longer hours under the MVB bulb, soaking, etc.
But now it's almost April, and he doesn't seem to be getting any better.
I can't remember the last time I saw him eat. I will constantly place him in front of his food dish and try to hand feed him and he rejects it every time. He's very reluctant to open his eyes. They're not swollen or anything, he just refuses to open them. I've started to soak him in carrot baths almost every day in order to get him nutrients since he's not eating anything himself.
Is it time for a vet visit? Is this normal behavior even around this time of year?
FYI, I live in eastern Pennsylvania, so the weather is still a little chilly this time of year. Could that have something to do with it?
I would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Zoe

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
This is not a standard solution, but mine was really lethargic for a couple months. Like I would unearth him to feed him every other day, and after eating a bit he'd just go right back to sleep. No exploring, pooping or anything. My mvb went last week and I replaced it and he turned around 100 percent. I assume that while it continued to produce heat and light, the bulb had stopped providing sufficient uv rays way before it died. Poor guy, I felt so bad, but was so happy that it was me not him!! Four months on those things. Tops! And change them before they go out.

This may not be your problem at all, but I just thought I would throw it out there in case it is, in fact, that easy. Given the time of year, ambient uv, and general light and heat in the house is pretty poor, so they are relying that much more on the artificial source we are providing.

Vladsfriend

Ohio
I had written it off during the winter months since the winter blues are common in his species, and he was most likely experiencing the pull to hibernate. I did my best to keep him awake through the usual routine; raised temps, longer hours under the MVB bulb, soaking, etc.
I can't remember the last time I saw him eat. I will constantly place him in front of his food dish and try to hand feed him and he rejects it every time. He's very reluctant to open his eyes. They're not swollen or anything, he just refuses to open them. I've started to soak him in carrot baths almost every day in order to get him nutrients since he's not eating anything himself.
Is it time for a vet visit? Is this normal behavior even around this time of year?
FYI, I live in eastern Pennsylvania, so the weather is still a little chilly this time of year. Could that have something to do with it?

Zoe
I hope you find a satisfying answer. I'm from similar climate in NE Ohio, but my Russian (also Vladimir!) has already picked up his pace from the winter slowdown. It seems like more than just a seasonal issue to me. Hope he gets better!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
since it's still chilly in your area my first suspicion is temperatures. what are your temperatures? Hot Side, cool side, basking spot and overall?

zoe98love

Pennsylvania
since it's still chilly in your area my first suspicion is temperatures. what are your temperatures? Hot Side, cool side, basking spot and overall?
Hot side is about 80-90. Basking spot is 94-96 constant. Cool side is 75-79. The overall enclosure never gets colder than 80

zoe98love

Pennsylvania
Update: I took him to the vet this morning and discovered he has a vitamin A deficiency from lack of eating. I'll be feeding him medication over the next few weeks.

Vladsfriend

Ohio
Update: I took him to the vet this morning and discovered he has a vitamin A deficiency from lack of eating. I'll be feeding him medication over the next few weeks.
Thanks for the update. I hope that's the ticket!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
dark leafy greens will fix that vitamin A deficiency

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

what is the medication given to you for a vitamin a deficiency? did they give him any injections while there for the vitamin deficiency?

zoe98love

Pennsylvania
what is the medication given to you for a vitamin a deficiency? did they give him any injections while there for the vitamin deficiency?
No, my vet didn't give him any injections. I have to administer the medication to him through a syringe. It's quite the task since it requires coaxing his mouth open. The label on the medication says vitamin A and dextrose

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No, my vet didn't give him any injections. I have to administer the medication to him through a syringe. It's quite the task since it requires coaxing his mouth open. The label on the medication says vitamin A and dextrose

As Captain suggested, diet is the best and most effective way to get the needed vitamin a, and other minerals. Here are a few that are super high in A, but understand that broccoli itself should be only offered in small quantities from time to time, but right now is good to get some vit a going in....also, kale and spinach should also be offered in controlled and limited amounts and events once the tortoise is back in line with the vitamin a and other minerals...

Broccoli leaves and flowerets
Carrots
Collard greens
Dandelion greens (beware of lawn treatments)
Kale
Mustard greens
Parsley
Sweet potatoes
Spinach
Turnip greens
Yellow squash

Nectarines and pears are also a good source of vitamin A, and usually a tort will jump right into consume a treat...so perhaps cut up a small pile of finely chopped greens from some of the above items and then slice a piece or two of a fruit and stir it about in the greens and get them all fruit juiced up...then remove almost all of the fruit except perhaps a tiny treasure morsel....this may encourage the tort to try to take in the good foods high in the currently deficient vitamin a, also, when an animal is deficient on a particular vitamin they are usually low in other minerals....so that would make sense the supplement you have been given....please do take extreme care in administering the vitamin a...it is good when being offered in the proper amount to supply that deficiency while you are getting the diet in check....but vitamin a given in excess can become toxic...so take care and be sure that the tort is being hydrated with long warm water soaks especially during the treatment duration.

zoe98love

Pennsylvania
As Captain suggested, diet is the best and most effective way to get the needed vitamin a, and other minerals. Here are a few that are super high in A, but understand that broccoli itself should be only offered in small quantities from time to time, but right now is good to get some vit a going in....also, kale and spinach should also be offered in controlled and limited amounts and events once the tortoise is back in line with the vitamin a and other minerals...

Broccoli leaves and flowerets
Carrots
Collard greens
Dandelion greens (beware of lawn treatments)
Kale
Mustard greens
Parsley
Sweet potatoes
Spinach
Turnip greens
Yellow squash

Nectarines and pears are also a good source of vitamin A, and usually a tort will jump right into consume a treat...so perhaps cut up a small pile of finely chopped greens from some of the above items and then slice a piece or two of a fruit and stir it about in the greens and get them all fruit juiced up...then remove almost all of the fruit except perhaps a tiny treasure morsel....this may encourage the tort to try to take in the good foods high in the currently deficient vitamin a, also, when an animal is deficient on a particular vitamin they are usually low in other minerals....so that would make sense the supplement you have been given....please do take extreme care in administering the vitamin a...it is good when being offered in the proper amount to supply that deficiency while you are getting the diet in check....but vitamin a given in excess can become toxic...so take care and be sure that the tort is being hydrated with long warm water soaks especially during the treatment duration.
I'll be sure to add some more veggies and leaves high in vitamin a for him in the future! I am soaking him every day after I give him his medication

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
since you're soaking them you can always pick up some bird vitamins (water soluble) at the pet store and put a couple drops in his water

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland

Zoe
Hi Zoe. My tort experiencing something similar. Am tube feeding him critical care. Till very lethargic but more active after a soak. Appetite has also come back so hopefully he is on the mend. Let me know how you get on!

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
This is not a standard solution, but mine was really lethargic for a couple months. Like I would unearth him to feed him every other day, and after eating a bit he'd just go right back to sleep. No exploring, pooping or anything. My mvb went last week and I replaced it and he turned around 100 percent. I assume that while it continued to produce heat and light, the bulb had stopped providing sufficient uv rays way before it died. Poor guy, I felt so bad, but was so happy that it was me not him!! Four months on those things. Tops! And change them before they go out.

This may not be your problem at all, but I just thought I would throw it out there in case it is, in fact, that easy. Given the time of year, ambient uv, and general light and heat in the house is pretty poor, so they are relying that much more on the artificial source we are providing.
This has recently happened to me also. My tort is starting to come around i think...i hope! Any tips?

zoe98love

Pennsylvania
Update: Vlad is doing much better and responding to the medication well. He's got his appetite back and I've been feeding him some dandelions since they've started to bloom. His eyes still tend to stay closed but he's been opening them more and more as time goes on. Since it's gotten really warm these past few weeks I've also been taking him outside for a few hours. The natural sunlight really helps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I cringe when I hear that a vet said this. But at least you have an oral medication instead of an injection. Quite a few vets inject an overdose of vitamin A and it causes the tortoise's skin to slough off. It is quite easy to get vitamin A into a tortoise without an injection. That's what the baby food soaks are that we talk about here.

zoe98love

Pennsylvania
I cringe when I hear that a vet said this. But at least you have an oral medication instead of an injection. Quite a few vets inject an overdose of vitamin A and it causes the tortoise's skin to slough off. It is quite easy to get vitamin A into a tortoise without an injection. That's what the baby food soaks are that we talk about here.
I tried to delay taking him to the vet, but the baby food soaks didn't seem to be helping him much so I thought it might've been a bigger issue. But thankfully there's been no skin sloughing off!