Very disappointed in this forum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The kale is okay to feed and so are the pellets. The best diet is one of as many species specific items as you can get and then change them up, so it's a wide variety varied diet. Example, kale one day, spring mix the next day, mustard greens another day, pellets the next, etc
or you can do something like 2-3 different items one day or even a couple 2-3 days and then switch those out for 2-3 different items for another 3 days or so.
Use as much natural foods, weeds etc as possible and add to that the proper grocery store greens if needed.
We will help you with any problems/questions you have. Just be patient and except our help in the way we can give it. No one here wants you to give up your tortoise or to fail. But we can only answer in our own individual way.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
  • Th

Hello, this is Denise
  • I was feeding Wei Wei what I was told she ate. I will correct this quickly. I had tried the dandelion, I pulled over the side of the road and just started picking some. By the time I got home they were wilt I rinsed them with water but she would have no part of that. At the end of this post you should see pictures of my Wei Wei. When my friend was leaving the state it was kind of rush. I thought and still do feel she would be safe and taken care of with me. I don't know how long she had her or when she got her. I will do my very best to keep her safe and happy. If I feel I am not doing that then and only then will I try to find her a good home. But right now she is my tortise and I don't take that lightly. The store and some articles I read said kale, even spinach, was ok I will try to find some of the items that were suggested. She will get no more fruit or peppers. I did get some Fluker's tortoise diet pellets the week I got her. I got them Amazon. It says nutritious daily diet for tortoise. Thank you for helping me. These pictures are before I changed to bark. I think she liked it a lot better. Will better and more pictures
View attachment 280631 View attachment 280632 View attachment 280633
I'm sure you'll do great. My little guy won't eat kale or spinach. He's really picky and sniffs every thing he eats so I'm everyday trying to find stuff he likes. Wei Wei is adorable.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nice pictures.
Hopefully your tortoise will soon be eating better items.
It's 100% normal that a tortoise that has tasted sweet foods to not want to eat anything else.
It's like a child wanting ice cream instead of his broccoli.
He will get over it. These hunger strikes never end in starvation. They will eat when they get hungry enough.

Nordys

Glendale AZ
I became a member going on two weeks ago. I have a Russian Tortoise. I asked on several occasions for some advise on feeding and other matters concerning my RT. Not once was my message posted or replied to. I can only assume this forum is for a selected few.
Welcome and please try again.

jso

55*N, UK
Hi Denise: I don't think the 'age' comment was directed at you, she meant she liked to see the older, more experienced members answer the new members' questions.

Yes. When Cathie G said: "I usually want older members to answer about problems" I'm sure she wasn't referring to their age.

And even this comment isn't a reference to the age of the member, but rather to the length of time people have been members of this forum. (Older/newer member.)

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Nice lookinG tortoise. My Russian would not eat dandelions at first. I just kept giving them to her and she comes running when she sees that yellow flower. It is one of her favorite foods.

Denise i

Colorado Springs
Nice lookinG tortoise. My Russian would not eat dandelions at first. I just kept giving them to her and she comes running when she sees that yellow flower. It is one of her favorite foods.
I love the color of your tortoise.
Do you pick your dandelions from a yard? I go looking in parks, in fact the one time I did find them it was outside a bank there lawn. I do notice by the time I get them home there wilted do you think that matters?

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Do you pick your dandelions from a yard? I go looking in parks, in fact the one time I did find them it was outside a bank there lawn. I do notice by the time I get them home there wilted do you think that matters?
You like my little green tortoise. A friend gave that to me.
I have been getting my dandelions from our yard as I no there is no pesticides on them. I am now telling my husband not to kill any dandelions. He does keep them out of the lawn by digging them up. I am making a garden of weeds. I don't think it would matter if they are wilted. But you do want to make sure no pesticides are on them. Parks may spray pesticides.

Lotsa Torts

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Apple Valley
I became a member going on two weeks ago. I have a Russian Tortoise. I asked on several occasions for some advise on feeding and other matters concerning my RT. Not once was my message posted or replied to. I can only assume this forum is for a selected few.
Hi, I'm new to this forum too. But I have had Russians for years and have a breeding pair that have had 3 clutches hatch. When there are weeds in their pen, they eat those. When the weeds die, they get spring mix, but not the kind with spinach. That can cause health issues if they get too much spinach.
Hope this helps.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Be careful where you pick weeds. Too many people, companies and City Parks use weed killers and pesticides on the weeds. Lots of it can't be washed off sufficiently. Check with neighbors and friends to make sure they or their gardeners are not using chemicals on the yards. Best of luck you are going to do just fine.