Very disappointed in this forum

Denise i

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
I became a member going on two weeks ago. I have a Russian Tortoise. I asked on several occasions for some advise on feeding and other matters concerning my RT. Not once was my message posted or replied to. I can only assume this forum is for a selected few.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I became a member going on two weeks ago. I have a Russian Tortoise. I asked on several occasions for some advise on feeding and other matters concerning my RT. Not once was my message posted or replied to. I can only assume this forum is for a selected few.
Your profile page indicates you've posted on TFO one time and it's this post. There are no other posts from you?Screenshot_20190915-150707~2.png

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
At first when I joined the forum I couldn't figure it out either. After awhile of creeping around I figured it out. I don't think your post was purposefully disregarded if it was. It was probably just an internet issue. Sometimes my messages don't send to other members and I have to retype it out and resend it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We have thousands of members from most every country on the planet and all over the U.S. But not all of us keep Russian tortoises or can be of much help.
I suggest re posting your original questions in the correct part of the forum, then going into our RUSSIAN tortoise care section. There is all of the information you'll need there and it'll get you started.
By that time you're going to have other RT keepers responding.
Welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you'll notice the number next to "messages" shown under your name on the left of the screen, you'll see that it shows you've only posted one message. . . the one telling us you're disappointed with us. We can't be expected to help you if your messages weren't posted correctly. But now that you've got our attention, what can we help you with?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I can guarantee you that if your post had been seen you would have gotten tons of love. Don't give up. This is the first time I've seen you post or I would have at least said hello and welcome. I usually want older members to answer about problems.

Denise i

Colorado Springs
I don't feel my age or the fact that I am older has anything to do with me having a Russian Tortoise. So far her an I have been able to get through some of her problems or my lack of not knowing what was going on. Her name is Wei Wei I was told she is six years old. She does not adjust to changes well. I went from compressed coconut to repti bark 100% pure for bark.I did my research and it seems a lot less messy. It took three days before she would eat again but now I am beginning to understand her now. With the bark she can dig her self a hole if she likes. She was given to me by a friend who was leaving the state. I am a dog lover but I can now say a Tortoise lover as well. She had at one point the yellow discharge but now it's back to white and not often. Her diet is a variety of Romanian lettus, kale, spinach, cucumbers, green, red, yellow peppers. She also likes peaches. What I am not sure of is how small do I cut up the pieces of pepper, cucumbers, fruit. She goes out on my balcony every day if the weathers nice. She not a big fan of water. I am medical professional retired. Do watching her different behaviors is interesting to say the least. How would I post pictures? I usually use my S8. That's where her pictures are stored. I also have a dog but they do not interact. Her home is situated in my living room where activity goes on a lot. I found she likes looking at TV. When I am not at home sometimes I'll leave it on.
Again please tell me how I can download pictures

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't feel my age or the fact that I am older has anything to do with me having a Russian Tortoise. So far her an I have been able to get through some of her problems or my lack of not knowing what was going on. Her name is Wei Wei I was told she is six years old. She does not adjust to changes well. I went from compressed coconut to repti bark 100% pure for bark.I did my research and it seems a lot less messy. It took three days before she would eat again but now I am beginning to understand her now. With the bark she can dig her self a hole if she likes. She was given to me by a friend who was leaving the state. I am a dog lover but I can now say a Tortoise lover as well. She had at one point the yellow discharge but now it's back to white and not often. Her diet is a variety of Romanian lettus, kale, spinach, cucumbers, green, red, yellow peppers. She also likes peaches. What I am not sure of is how small do I cut up the pieces of pepper, cucumbers, fruit. She goes out on my balcony every day if the weathers nice. She not a big fan of water. I am medical professional retired. Do watching her different behaviors is interesting to say the least. How would I post pictures? I usually use my S8. That's where her pictures are stored. I also have a dog but they do not interact. Her home is situated in my living room where activity goes on a lot. I found she likes looking at TV. When I am not at home sometimes I'll leave it on.
I have a Russian too. I'm glad you're here. I have a smart phone. It's still complicated at times. The easiest way is just take the picture while doing your post to TFO. The other thing I do is send the photo I want to post to my e-mail and then download it. Then go to documents when prompted and post it. It took me awhile to figure out how. It's a total miracle I figured out how to do that because I'm a dufus when it comes to computers. Best wishes.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I hope you didn't think we'd think differently of you because of age.
Heck, some days, you'd be one of the younger folks here.:)
And I even have an old S8 like yours.
Are you posting using your phone?
If so, after you post....You can edit your post by hitting edit, then selecting upload a file. Then select a picture from your photos.
Many if us, myself included are not really good with computers or technology.
Hang in there.
You're going to be fine and trying to offer help of your own in no time.
However, let me be the first to caution you about fruit and Russian tortoises.....They love fruit like a lot of tortoises do. But they are not a species that can process sugars. That is harmful. Do not feed peaches. Try to avoid all sugary foods.
Bell peppers are also borderline bad food for a Russian. But those you can get away with every now and again as a small treat.
Make sure you look at the list of foods for your Russian tortoise from our care sheet.
This forum is fantastic.
I've been here for over 5 years and my tortoises are SOOOO much better off because of it.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

I don’t believe anything has been said about your age, but I’m sorry if it has.
To post pictures (assuming you’re posting from your phone), click the “upload a file” button.IMG_4006.jpg

There are a few things that need to be changed about your diet-
-Romain lettuce and cucumber are very high in water, and have very little nutrition. It takes more energy to eat than it gives, and shouldn’t be fed for anything more than hydration.

-this is not a tortoise that can digest sugars well, so it should not be getting fruit or sugary peppers. If you do want to feed it, I wouldn’t feed sugary foods more than once or twice a month in very small amounts.

-kale and spinach are high in oxalic acid, and while it can be debatable whether or not that is harmful, it’s best to only feed as part of a varied diet.

This tortoise should be eating mostly high five red weeds from outside, and if those are not available, foods like endive, escarole, arugula, chicory/dandelion, cactus pads/nopales, and radicchio make great staples along with high quality pellets like zoo med’s grassland tortoise food and Mazuri tortoise diet for extra fiber.

Be sure to give these links a read. I find them to be very helpful :)

Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Denise: I don't think the 'age' comment was directed at you, she meant she liked to see the older, more experienced members answer the new members' questions.

Your Russian tortoise should not be eating fruit. Their digestive system is not set up to process that much sugar and it could lead to a parasite bloom.

It helps a tortoise's beak if they have to bite pieces off their food, so cutting it up isn't a good thing. I like to cut zuchini into fourths, lengthwise, as that gives them an 'edge' to latch onto. You can find a nice list of food items for Russian tortoises here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/suggested-guide.173138/

Posting pictures is different between a smart phone and a computer, but we have instructions at the top of the photo and video section, here: https://tortoiseforum.org/forums/tortoise-photos-videos.17/

I hope this helps. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Denise i

Colorado Springs
  • Th
    I have a Russian too. I'm glad you're here. I have a smart phone. It's still complicated at times. The easiest way is just take the picture while doing your post to TFO. The other thing I do is send the photo I want to post to my e-mail and then download it. Then go to documents when prompted and post it. It took me awhile to figure out how. It's a total miracle I figured out how to do that because I'm a dufus when it comes to computers. Best wishes.
    Hello, this is Denise
  • I was feeding Wei Wei what I was told she ate. I will correct this quickly. I had tried the dandelion, I pulled over the side of the road and just started picking some. By the time I got home they were wilt I rinsed them with water but she would have no part of that. At the end of this post you should see pictures of my Wei Wei. When my friend was leaving the state it was kind of rush. I thought and still do feel she would be safe and taken care of with me. I don't know how long she had her or when she got her. I will do my very best to keep her safe and happy. If I feel I am not doing that then and only then will I try to find her a good home. But right now she is my tortise and I don't take that lightly. The store and some articles I read said kale, even spinach, was ok I will try to find some of the items that were suggested. She will get no more fruit or peppers. I did get some Fluker's tortoise diet pellets the week I got her. I got them Amazon. It says nutritious daily diet for tortoise. Thank you for helping me. These pictures are before I changed to bark. I think she liked it a lot better. Will better and more pictures
20190816_125407.jpg 20190816_125414.jpg 20190816_125410.jpg