Very confused... greek or russian?

AngieD

Location (City and/or State)
London
IMG_1819.jpg IMG_3917.jpg So, I have had my tort Cyril for 5 years, inherited him from someone else and was told he was a med spur thigh. He is currently in hibernation. So all was well until I was recently asked to rescue a horsefield tortoise - which I duly did. However, the two of them look remarkably similar, even down to the spurs on the inner thigh! So now I am confused - do I have 2 horsefields, do I have two spur thighs? Can anyone help identify? I have attached images of both (one the scales the other not...). Thanks in advance. Angie
FDLcqRX
https://ibb.co/pjw2MT5
FDLcqRX

Last edited:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Back in the late 60s and early 70s what is referred to today as russian or horsefield were called 4 toed tortoises. And because of the cold war (among other reasons) they were very hard to come by. I didn't get my first one until 1973.

AngieD

London
Back in the late 60s and early 70s what is referred to today as russian or horsefield were called 4 toed tortoises. And because of the cold war (among other reasons) they were very hard to come by. I didn't get my first one until 1973.

So these are not Horsefield, but spur thigh?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russians also do not have "spurs" on the backs of their thighs.