Very Active...But Not Eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Its been awhile, mostly because Journey has been doing pretty well. Over the last year or so he's really developed a personality of his own. (We've only had him a little over a year).

His behavior has changed from his normal style in the last couple of weeks and thought it best to ask here. Lately he has been very active, in that he wakes up at night and just hangs out under his heat lamp for a bit. In the morning he "runs" back and forth in his home digging holes, climbing over things, etc. Back and forth, back and forth. Lots of energy. But the problem is he hasn't eaten much lately. Yesterday I think he ate one leaf, and this morning one leaf only because I set it in front of him. But for the last week or so, he has hardly touched his food, but rather just spread it around. His normal diet - mixes of red-lead lettuce, dandelion, and the occasional (rare) addition of collard greens - usually satisfies him, because he can always clean his plate. His weight has decreased from about 420 (where he was since about the Spring) to about 399 in a matter of 2 weeks or so, and has held there. He doesn't appear to be in distress. Although, we did clean out his home a week ago, though we do that every 6 weeks or so and he's usually fine.

Question: Could any of this be related to his body thinking he needs to hibernate? (Winter is almost here, its getting colder out, etc). Or could i tbe something else? Does this change in behavior, and being active but not eating much, sound familiar to anyone?

Concerned... thanks all.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
How often are you soaking him? My Maggie went through a phaeton where she didn't eat though she wasn't very active, but I found soaking her more often and readjusting her heat helped with that. I have also learned she's somewhat picky. She does not like any of the red leaf lettuce, radicchio, or anything red. I think her least favorite thing is kale. She let me know that in no uncertain terms the last time. She trampled it everywhere. She does however love mustard greens, turnip greens, romaine, dandelion. I'd try checking his heat and maybe some different things to eat. I also found if I tore the lettuces or greens uprooted much she was less likely to eat it all

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
jensgotfaith said:
How often are you soaking him? My Maggie went through a phaeton where she didn't eat though she wasn't very active, but I found soaking her more often and readjusting her heat helped with that. I have also learned she's somewhat picky. She does not like any of the red leaf lettuce, radicchio, or anything red. I think her least favorite thing is kale. She let me know that in no uncertain terms the last time. She trampled it everywhere. She does however love mustard greens, turnip greens, romaine, dandelion. I'd try checking his heat and maybe some different things to eat. I also found if I tore the lettuces or greens uprooted much she was less likely to eat it all

We soak him once a week. And regarding red-lead lettuce, he's always cleared his plate with no problem.

At night our home gets to about 68 or 70 degrees (F), but his heat bulb keeps the night time between 75 and 85, and his daytime full spectrum keeps it about 80 on the cool end and 95 or so under the lamp.

This being said, its been pretty chilly (30s) outside lately, so maybe even a draft or cooler air altogether can be felt by him, despite his lamps?

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
Smithen said:
What type of enclosure do you have him in?

Tyler

Glass terrarium because when we got Journey in Oct 2009 we didn't know what we know now. Its very large, and ever since we moved his hiding log to the center about half a year ago he loves it. He climbs over it, buries himself in little holes in the substrate, sleeps inside the log, basks on his rocks, eats like no tomorrow. Once a week when we soak him, we let him roam around (we only have a 1 bedroom apartment).

This recent behavior change of being very active but not eating is unsual for him. (I can't say for certain how much or how little he's been eating since we're at work during the day, but its noticeable enough to see he hardly touches his greens when usually there's nothing left!)

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
darthsmozers said:
Smithen said:

Tyler

Glass terrarium because when we got Journey in Oct 2009 we didn't know what we know now. Its very large, and ever since we moved his hiding log to the center about half a year ago he loves it. He climbs over it, buries himself in little holes in the substrate, sleeps inside the log, basks on his rocks, eats like no tomorrow. Once a week when we soak him, we let him roam around (we only have a 1 bedroom apartment).

This recent behavior change of being very active but not eating is unsual for him. (I can't say for certain how much or how little he's been eating since we're at work during the day, but its noticeable enough to see he hardly touches his greens when usually there's nothing left!)

Do you have something blocking the glass so that he may not be able to see out? If not then that could be part of the problem. When they are able to see out they try to get out and when they can not they get stressed because they do not understand glass. I know back before I made my tort table I had about this same problem with my Sophie. It could be happening just now because the temp changes makeing him look for a place to think about hybernating, or because you have the heat on he thinks it is time to start wakeing up for summer time.

Tyler

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
Smithen said:
darthsmozers said:
Smithen said:

Tyler

Do you have something blocking the glass so that he may not be able to see out? If not then that could be part of the problem. When they are able to see out they try to get out and when they can not they get stressed because they do not understand glass. I know back before I made my tort table I had about this same problem with my Sophie. It could be happening just now because the temp changes makeing him look for a place to think about hybernating, or because you have the heat on he thinks it is time to start wakeing up for summer time.

Tyler

Hmm interesting. Well, only the back side of the terrarium is covered with a background of desert (my wife wanted a theme). The other 3 sides are open because she likes to see him. But maybe we should cover them up, at least while he is being active (stressed?) like this?

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
It's worth a try atleast, or maybe atleast cover the two sides and leave the front open for viewing.

Tyler

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Even though we try and 'trick" them, when it is hibernation time, I think they still seem to know when it is time to hibernate. I am not using the word "trick" in a mean way or anything. I would just keep an eye on him, and keep offering food. Try offering less food so you can see how much he does or does not eat. And try offering some of his favorite foods. I know right now that there is not a lot to choose from, but try some hibiscus flowers. Mine also like dandelions both leaves and flowers, and some radish tops.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Even though we try and 'trick" them, when it is hibernation time, I think they still seem to know when it is time to hibernate. I am not using the word "trick" in a mean way or anything. I would just keep an eye on him, and keep offering food. Try offering less food so you can see jow much he does or does not eat. And try offering some of his favorite foods. I know right now that there is not a lot to choose from, but try some hibiscus flowers. Mien also like dandelions both leaves and flowers, and some radish tops.

GREAT idea about offering just a little food to be able to observe it better. Thanks! Makes total sense.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Seems highly unlikely that it is anything you are doing wrong or anything with his habitat if you have been doing all the same things for over a year.

I would keep a close eye out for any physical manifestations of illness, as well. My intuition suggests a digestive problem of some sort. Maybe some foods that get the digestive system going would be helpful. I think pumpkin is one, but a more experienced keeper might suggest something else, or disagree with it being a digestive problem. Anything notable to report regarding his bathroom habits just before and during this period? Was he going regularly and has stopped? Is he still going normally (although presumably less frequently if he isn't eating).

My male RT went through a couple week period where he wouldn't eat, but he was also very inactive, so I've not seen this specific problem personally.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
travisgn said:
Seems highly unlikely that it is anything you are doing wrong or anything with his habitat if you have been doing all the same things for over a year.

I would keep a close eye out for any physical manifestations of illness, as well. My intuition suggests a digestive problem of some sort. Maybe some foods that get the digestive system going would be helpful. I think pumpkin is one, but a more experienced keeper might suggest something else, or disagree with it being a digestive problem. Anything notable to report regarding his bathroom habits just before and during this period? Was he going regularly and has stopped? Is he still going normally (although presumably less frequently if he isn't eating).

My male RT went through a couple week period where he wouldn't eat, but he was also very inactive, so I've not seen this specific problem personally.

Typically he will go to the bathroom once a week or so in his home, with the rest coming out when we soak him (gets the body moving, I guess). Last week he went a couple of times in his home, therefore it wasn't surprising when he didn't go during his last soak because he was probably "all pooped out". And since he hasn't eaten much (barely at all) since the weekend, there hasn't been anything since.

This morning he was basking for a bit, then began being a crazy man again - back and forth along the back wall of his home, up and over his log over and over again. Goes one way, up and over, turns around, up and over, and again and again. He may stop once in awhile and look around. Doesn't seem to be in pain or anything like that, but I feel like something's bothering him if he keeps "pacing" or repeating that path over and over.

We leave for work during this time, but when we come home he's asleep. Yesterday when we came home he had buried himself under a huge mound of substrate. He was out and about this morning doing his back and forth thing.

So in short, still extremely active (but in a way that seems to be causing us concern, i.e. back and forth repeatedly), seems to be following his normal awake/asleep cycle, but hardly eating anything....[our BIG concern].

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
More of the same this morning, with a twist.

He was restless walking back and forth in his home, up against the glass. I decided to soak him (why not?) and he was his usual self during that time. I put him back in his home, and more of the same. I even put him in front of his food, nothing. I decided to trick him. I put him in his log. Well, he came out fo the log real fast, but next thing I knew he was eating a leaf! Dandelion, I think. At least this is something! He then went back to his new favorite corner where he buries himself under inches of his substrate. Thats where he's spent the last 2 nights, out of sight...

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
darthsmozers said:

He was restless walking back and forth in his home, up against the glass. I decided to soak him (why not?) and he was his usual self during that time. I put him back in his home, and more of the same. I even put him in front of his food, nothing. I decided to trick him. I put him in his log. Well, he came out fo the log real fast, but next thing I knew he was eating a leaf! Dandelion, I think. At least this is something! He then went back to his new favorite corner where he buries himself under inches of his substrate. Thats where he's spent the last 2 nights, out of sight...

Have you tried what I sigguested? It sounds exactly like what they do when they are stressed because they can see out of the enclosure.

Tyler

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
Smithen said:
darthsmozers said:

Have you tried what I sigguested? It sounds exactly like what they do when they are stressed because they can see out of the enclosure.

Tyler

Hi there. I have remembered your suggestion but haven't gotten to it with work and evening classes. But yes I plan on doing so this evening. Thanks for the reminder!

travisgn

5 Year Member
This seems like a long shot, but if "he" is actually a "she," then this sounds like nesting behavior. Seems like the wrong time of year, though. And based on the weight you gave I'm guessing he's only about 4.5-5" which would be too small if indeed he were a she.

If you don't get any more responses here you could try private messaging one of the more experienced keepers. I'm not sure who would be your best bet, but Danny (egyptiandan) seems to know everything.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
travisgn said:
This seems like a long shot, but if "he" is actually a "she," then this sounds like nesting behavior. Seems like the wrong time of year, though. And based on the weight you gave I'm guessing he's only about 4.5-5" which would be too small if indeed he were a she.

If you don't get any more responses here you could try private messaging one of the more experienced keepers. I'm not sure who would be your best bet, but Danny (egyptiandan) seems to know everything.

Interesting though. Well, I think we had confirmation earlier in the Spring that he is a boy, with an embarassing episode of my wife thinking his insides were falling out when it turned out to be Journey showing us he isn't a baby anymore... Unless that happens with females too, we're pretty sure he's a boy haha.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Haha, yes I guess there is no doubt about his sex. Thought it was worth a mention. I'm back to having no idea. Best of luck!

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
travisgn said:
Haha, yes I guess there is no doubt about his sex. Thought it was worth a mention. I'm back to having no idea. Best of luck!

Thanks, no problem!

Well, he apparently did eat most of his greens on Friday morning! And he is still coming out every night like clockwork - he comes out in the morning, then comes out again around midnight. Funny guy.

No bathroom evidence yet - may soak him today to see what happens.

darthsmozers

5 Year Member
GREAT NEWS! 2 days in a row now, Journey has cleaned his plate! He's also back to sleeping in his log and not burying himself in the new corner he's been favoring. He's also back to making an appearance a few times a day - morning, late afternoon, and night. Seems like good ol' Journey again! (Except no restroom evidence we can find, but since he barely ate for a week maybe it'll take a few more days of full meals...)

Wonder if it truly was a hibernation instinct that he is now shaking off. Well, things are looking OK we think!

Status
Not open for further replies.