Ventilation for large indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

knighterson

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I don't post much but I am on almost every day reading threads. As per my usual, I have a question. Our sulcata, 'pickles', is almost 9 months and is currently in an XL Rubbermaid type bin when he's indoors. I have cut a hole in the lid for his UVB and Che, but it's otherwise enclosed. He's doing great, gets between 2-3 Hours of sun everyday, and is growing fast. He has some pyramiding, I kept him dry for the first month, and he was dry at the pet store too. Anyway, I've shared all of this already, just thought i would update. Problem is, the rubbermaid bin is just too small, and I'm in the middle of building him a 4' x 8' x 26"H enclosed chamber inspired by Tom's leopard enclosure he usually refers to. Sorry I'm rambling- question is: even though I want it enclosed, should I vent it? I was thinking yes, and planning on maybe a 6" x 6" opening at the end opposite his hide area. Comments?

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
Yes, ventilation is critical. Should have two openings, each on an opposite side.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I vote against venting. If you will be accessing the enclosure for daily feeding and water freshening by opening it up that, in my option, should be enough. If you're concerned you'll need it to regulate temps, get a thermostat. Vents add an unknown quality as far as maintaining heat and moisture levels and its harder to regulate those two critical factors for you tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Adding vents is the same thing as having an open top. It lets all of your warm humid air out and it makes your heating elements run more, which further dries things out. The whole reason to create a closed chamber is because the air in the rest of the house is too cool and dry for them. We close off the air in there so we can make it suitably warm and humid, and keep it that way. Adding vents just makes the air inside the cage closer to the same as the air inside your house. I would not add vents. I have never had them an any closed chamber I've ever built. As Ken noted, just opening and closing the doors for daily maintenance is plenty of air exchange. Plus no enclosure is air tight. There will be air leakage at all the seems and doors, and where ever your power cords come in.

If you decide you need vents anyway, I highly suggest that you make them closable or adjustable so that when you finally figure out on your own what I'm telling you, you'll be able to at least close them and keep more warm air in. :)

Your enclosure sounds fan-freakin'tastic. I would love to see pics and a "how to" thread on how you built it. You DID take pics along the way, didn't you??????

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would agree with tom. There is no need to add vents. There would be no way to keep your warmth and humidity in.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Last edited by a moderator:

knighterson

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. A lot to consider, but you're right, there will be some venting where the power cords access anyway.

As far as pics, yes I have taken a few and I'll post some. My how-to won't work for most though, I used a lot of scrap to build it. I'm married with kids and definitely on a budget for things like this. Depending on your circumstances, you can build an enclosure like this for next to nothing. For example, I used 2 2x8 melamine cabinet ends (that I was going to junk) as the floor, making the overall 4x8. I also used culled lumber (scraps that are cut down, typically .50 ea) from home depot for most of the other wood, including the walls and ceilings. Altogether, I spent about $40 for the entire thing. My wife says its ugly, and I would have to agree haha, but it works and it will give him a great space that will last until he's ready for full time outdoor life. I think it's important to realize that you don't have to break the bank to provide a great home. tortoise care isn't cheap, and if you're going to keep them you need to understand that and be committed to providing financially and otherwise, but there are certain things at least that you can save money on with a little imagination.

Thanks again everyone!!

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
Mine summers in a deep, deep, burrow. i know there's not much ventilation in there.

knighterson

5 Year Member
Ok, so here's what I ended up with. 4x8x24"H with a taller section in the middle at 30". Decided against the vent, although its definitely not airtight. About 80% coco coir, 20% reptibark. I used a cement mixing tub on the humid hide side, thought it might hold all the extra moisture a little better. There's a pic of our sully too, you can see his pyramiding, but he's been in 80%ish humidity with good temps for the last 6 months or so so hopefully it's not getting any worse. We live in palm springs area, so one challenge is his outside time, temperature-wise it's great, but seriously 5% humidity, so I try to limit him to about 2 hours then get him back in his enclosure.

Attachments

• image-342869408.png
    image-342869408.png
    763.8 KB · Views: 54
  • image-3446189347.png
    image-3446189347.png
    855 KB · Views: 49
  • image-1608694198.png
    image-1608694198.png
    903 KB · Views: 50
  • image-1636079803.png
    image-1636079803.png