Veggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtyturtles2

5 Year Member
Hi all! I was wondering why veggies I should feed my Russian tortoise? Can anyone help?

turtyturtles2

5 Year Member
Pellets?

Are tortoise pellets okay to feed my Russian tort? It seems like she doesn't like it and hardly touches it. I got them from feeders supply & they told me to feed her that...but I have read a lot of post on leafy diets and etc. should I switch over to some greens?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Emily:

You can offer veggies, but it would be better to offer dark, leafy greens instead. Russian tortoises would rather eat broad-leafed plants and weeds than grass-type plants. If your grocer doesn't stock dandelion greens, you can always ask him to. Turnip greens, escarole, endive. Then wander around the yard and look for edible weeds for him. But be sure to wash anything you pick from outside.

Another thing to remember is that "vegetables" with seeds in them are really fruit.

I'm not a fan of the manufactured tortoise diets, especially the ones that are colored like fruity pebbles. The only mfg'd diet I use (and that's just once a week) is Mazuri Tortoise Diet.

turtyturtles2

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Emily:

You can offer veggies, but it would be better to offer dark, leafy greens instead. Russian tortoises would rather eat broad-leafed plants and weeds than grass-type plants. If your grocer doesn't stock dandelion greens, you can always ask him to. Turnip greens, escarole, endive. Then wander around the yard and look for edible weeds for him. But be sure to wash anything you pick from outside.

Another thing to remember is that "vegetables" with seeds in them are really fruit.

I'm not a fan of the manufactured tortoise diets, especially the ones that are colored like fruity pebbles. The only mfg'd diet I use (and that's just once a week) is Mazuri Tortoise Diet.

Thanks emysemys! Im not sure I got your name.. But you sure know a lot about turtles! Your very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.