Variety

Volksvegan

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I'm usually able to get a good variety of greens at the grocery store in the winter (including escarole, endive, two types of radicchio, frisee, artisan lettuces, dandelion greens. kales, etc. etc.), but living in Canada it is sometimes difficult to get things like cactus for winter feeding for my RT. Luckily, I live near a large American city and we go over about once a week (not just for tortoise food, LOL!). At a large Mexican grocery I'm able to get cleaned, cut up cactus (nopalitos), as well as pads (to start new plants), turnip greens, etc. and today I found really inexpensive dried hibiscus flowers there which I've ground up in a coffee grinder (one that I use only for food); I'll sprinkle a bit on his food sometimes. My local Asian grocery had (in addition to greens) dried daylily flowers (NOT lilies) which I've also ground up. About once a week I'll give him a couple of soaked ZooMed Grassland Tortoise pellets on top of his greens. More suggestions of what to get and where to look? In the summer he gets tons of weed-like things (I think we should come up with a new name for the good stuff other than "weeds") and I want to make sure he gets a wide variety in the winter, too. Thanks for any suggestions!

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Dried hibiscus at the Mexican market? Cool I'll have to see if the one by me has that.