uvb?

miriam

I just got a Russian tortoise and we put his tank in a bright window and put a heat lamp up but wanted to know how necessary it was to get a uvb light as well. From my understanding the uvb light is to help mimic the sun so in theory he shouldnt need it if he gets the sun? Right?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Your window screens out UVB so although you have visible light coming through, the UV spectrum isn't. Sunlight through a window is a nice complementary light source, but you'll need a UVB light for a healthy tort.

miriam

Even if I don't have a screen on the window? Its literally just glass

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Even if I don't have a screen on the window? Its literally just glass

The glass is what filters most of the UVB. If it was an open window with just a screen you might have been ok since the screen typically only filters 30-50% of the UVB.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also be very careful that your tortoises doesn't overheat in direct sun through a window.

Tortoises benefit tremendously from having an outdoor enclosure to sun, exercise and graze in. If you can get your tortoise outside in a safe enclosure a few times a week, you won't need any indoor UV.

If you do need indoor UV, I would recommend a mercury vapor bulb or you could simply add a long florescent tube to your current set up. The pet store will likely try to sell you a coil type cfl bulb, but those sometimes damage tortoise eyes, so most of us recommend against them.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Miriam welcome to the TFO from AZ . And Evan with a open window it sounds like you have your tort in a glass enclosure and that glass is filtering the UV rays

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:) I agree that you need to be very careful with the tort in the window. Over heating a tortoise could be a sad death. I would make sure that half the enclosure is blocked of the sun coming in. Also, the window is blocking the uv.

miriam

Thank you all so much! So if I get him outside which I plan to I won't need a uvb? And he is in the window but not getting full sun ever because its on a certain side of the house. Should I turn out the heat lamp out at night to make it more realistic for him in the wild?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All species should have it dark at night. Some species still need night heat, depending on your ambient room temps. Unless you live inside a refrigerator, you should not need night heat for a healthy russian.

miriam

All species should have it dark at night. Some species still need night heat, depending on your ambient room temps. Unless you live inside a refrigerator, you should not need night heat for a healthy russian.
Thank you