UVB Tube height

ditzyangeluk

Location (City and/or State)
Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
Have asked similar this before (apologies) but I have a new indoor enclosure so need further advice ...

I have a Hermann, 2 years old, and the enclosure is now 4ft x 3ft with sides of 8".
My UVB tube is a Repti Glo T8, 10.0 uvb, 24" tube. It says on the box that it covers up to 50cm / 20". I have a reflector

I know at the moment UV stuff is covered as he is outside all the time till the evening but, when he isn't outside for whatever reason;

(1) Am I right in thinking I would need another tube the other end to cover the whole table for UVB?
(2) What height would I have to have the tube. Is the 8" above the the enclsoure too low?

And advise appreciated. Thank you

josh shultis

ontario, canada
You need a uvb meter to really tell but 8-9 inches is good to get maximum amount of uvb from the bulb, I believe the reccomendations on that bulb are to go no closer then 7", an it states it provides uvb up to 16" or so but it would barely put off any at that height, I'd say your good at that height, espically with a t8 not a t5! My t5 says it's good up to 20" but I have it around 12" off the table

josh shultis

ontario, canada
So apparently closest you want it is 10" an farthest is 18" according to that chart but I think you good keeping it around 8"

josh shultis

ontario, canada
As long as it lights up atleast half or a bit more then half of the enclosure then it should be good!! I'd try and put it close to the basking light or wherever he hangs out most

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Keep in mind that chart is for Reptisun bulbs, you have a Repti Glo so it may not be applicable. Looking online, the 50cm/20" you mentioned is the maximum distance at which they consider the Repti Glo to be effective. If you plan on relying on bulbs for the foreseeable future, you really should get a meter so you're not guessing.

It's usually a good idea to have a portion of the enclosure where the animal can get away from the uvb. I would use the uvb light at one end, near the basking spot and use a non-uvb lights for general illumination throughout the rest of the enclosure.