UVB-meter or UV-index meter?

Reptilian Feline

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
A UVB-meter cost an arm and a leg here, and it would take me at least 5 years to get back the cost from it, compared to just replacing the UVB-light at the recommended intervals. Not saying it isn't worth the cost, just that when you don't know if your tiny tort will make it, other things seem more important to put the money on.

A UV-index meter is used primarily for people to know how long they can be out in the sun. I can get one for a very low price at the moment. After reading about them, they seem to relate very well to how much D3 is produced and there is a Fergusson Scale that compare to the UV-index. I just need to find out what is best for a small leo tort.

The way I see it, the UV-index meter can be usefull both for setting up the UVB-light and checking the UVB in the sun when being outside. What do you all think?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
A UV index meter will give you a pretty good idea for placement and when the bulb starts to produce less UVB. It is certainly better than just guessing or going by "guidelines"

The UV index is heavily weighted in favor of the shorter wavelength UV which is good as the shorter (UVB) is what we are interested in measuring. However the UVB the triggers D3 production is a very narrow band. It is the UV in the 295-300nm wavelength that is used. Less expensive meters aren't as selective in reading that specific range. So you can get a good reading with some meters as there is UVA but no longer UVB in the range we need

The solarmeter 6.5 is the only one that specifically reads the wavelength we need. That is by far the best choice as the technology to do this as we need is expensive. The less expensive meters are reading overall UV so you won't know if the shorter wavelengths needed are still being produced.

However, trusting that the bulbs are indeed producing about 25% of their UV in the UVB range (for a 10.0 bulb) You could use one as a guide in placement with a new bulb and use it to look for drop in reading indicating UV levels are decreasing and it's time to replace. Not ideal but better than guessing.