UVB Lighting

sophia.roberto

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello all! How much UVB light does a young Russian tort need? Right now I have one Reptisun 10.0 T5 bulb. The box says 15 watt and that sounds low to me, but I am also reading that a 10.0 is adequate without mention of the wattage. Should I use more than one of this bulb to increase the wattage? Kind advice is appreciated!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
These UVB tube lights are not rated by wattage. The box is labelled, but we go by the other designations...T5 10, and others. You should not need a second bulb.

Just keep in mind that those bulbs, according to the manufacturer, need to be changed at 6 months of use. They stop producing UVB around then. The only way to know if the bulb is still good is to measure it with a solarmeter 6.5.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all! How much UVB light does a young Russian tort need? Right now I have one Reptisun 10.0 T5 bulb. The box says 15 watt and that sounds low to me, but I am also reading that a 10.0 is adequate without mention of the wattage. Should I use more than one of this bulb to increase the wattage? Kind advice is appreciated!
What type of bulb? CFL or long tube? What is the mounting distance over the tortoise?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The wattage changes with the length of the tube.
But a 5.0 is still a 5.0 if it's 12" or 48".
And so forth.
A Russian tortoise can use a 10.0 or 12%.
A UVB "BULB" is not acceptable.
You need a UVB Linear florescent tube. And your Russian tortoises needs a UV level of about 3 to 3.5.
This can only be adjusted with a UVB meter.
We can help you with the placement if you can include photos of your enclosure.
Don't be concerned with the wattage. Each. Florescent tube has a transformer for that length tube. And each length has a different wattage.

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Kingkeeper

Philadelphia
Let’s go kiddo get these lights hooked up already