UVB Lighting for Indoor Enclosure

Justin C.

Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit, MI
Building a indoor closed chamber enclosure for my Russian tortoise and need to confirm UVB lighting size.
Due to space concerns the new home will be 48"x 24" x 36" with a chance of a small 2nd level. Substrate will be a mix throughout with coco coir in the large hide box, top soil, bark and rocks. I would like to add plants (don't know what kind yet) and some grass / weed area.
I have a tube UVB right now (15 watt 18" long) will this be OK or will I need a larger one.
If so, is there a different between T5 HO and T8, which is better for what I need?

Also, it is possible I may get another tortoise (Red Foot, or something smaller) and would use the same size for them as I would stack the homes (not the same enclosure). Can I use the same type of lighting for a Red Foot as I would use for the Russian?

IMG_20140418_090948054.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The T5HO will put out more UV, which will allow you to mount it farther away.

Your tortoise should be housed outside during the days of the year that will allow it. During the rest of them time you will need a UV meter to MAKE SURE you are providing enough UV for your indoors housed tortoises.

I suggest this one: http://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
I will also have a outdoor home for him that is 8'x 4' that he will be in during the warm days.
But when cold and at night bring him inside. I just live in Michigan and right now I am planning for a snow storm in July at this rate.

What size length T5 HO should I get?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will also have a outdoor home for him that is 8'x 4' that he will be in during the warm days.
But when cold and at night bring him inside. I just live in Michigan and right now I am planning for a snow storm in July at this rate.

I like that plan. I do that with all of my littler ones until they are old enough to live outside full time with heated boxes in my mild climate. There should be no reason why it wouldn't work for you long term. I would try to go much bigger outdoors if you can though.