UVB light

Mrsbongi

Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown
I have a 5.0 UVB light. I live in Central Texas, very warm and humid. I have a 5mo Redfoot that I take outside in semi- shade for about 30 minutes a day. He loves eating our St. Augustine grass (no pesticides or herbicides added). Here's my question: How long do I leave his UVB light on during the day? Enclosure maintained around 85 to 90 with 80% humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 5.0 UVB light. I live in Central Texas, very warm and humid. I have a 5mo Redfoot that I take outside in semi- shade for about 30 minutes a day. He loves eating our St. Augustine grass (no pesticides or herbicides added). Here's my question: How long do I leave his UVB light on during the day? Enclosure maintained around 85 to 90 with 80% humidity.
I'm not a keeper of RFs, so anyone that keeps them and says otherwise should carry more weight than my ideas here. 5.0 bulbs produce very little UV. If that is the only light source for daytime, I'd leave it on all day when the tortoise is inside.

Mrsbongi

Georgetown
I'm not a keeper of RFs, so anyone that keeps them and says otherwise should carry more weight than my ideas here. 5.0 bulbs produce very little UV. If that is the only light source for daytime, I'd leave it on all day when the tortoise is inside.
Thank you. I was told 5.0 for forest torts and 10 for desert torts. Lots of conflicting info for newbies. Lol

LisaLew

DFW Texas
I think your RF won’t need UV lighting if outside even in indirect sunlight. I’ll let one of the more experienced RF peeps answer. Sidenote: I am close by in FW! ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You may be providing adequate UV just in the time your little guy is outdoors.
But I'd also leave your UV lamp on for 12 hours for a natural daytime/nighttime cycle. That light will be all the light you'll need.
A 5.0 isnt going to give off too much UVB. So, since you have it. Use it.
You'll be fine.

Mrsbongi

Georgetown
You may be providing adequate UV just in the time your little guy is outdoors.
But I'd also leave your UV lamp on for 12 hours for a natural daytime/nighttime cycle. That light will be all the light you'll need.
A 5.0 isnt going to give off too much UVB. So, since you have it. Use it.
You'll be fine.
Thank you. That makes sense.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
30 minutes a day outside is plenty. You could get rid of the uvb bulb completely inside and just use a regular light instead.