UVB life

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
does Arcadia have the same size lamp? would be a smart investment
Yes, but the Arcadia 12% HO tube is a little stronger and must be mounted a little farther away. You've got a good bulb. You just need a meter to set the correct height and tell you when to replace it. The meter will pay for itself, since you aren't buying a new bulb every six months, AND you'll know for sure how much UV your tortoise is getting at all times.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Yes, but the Arcadia 12% HO tube is a little stronger and must be mounted a little farther away. You've got a good bulb. You just need a meter to set the correct height and tell you when to replace it. The meter will pay for itself, since you aren't buying a new bulb every six months, AND you'll know for sure how much UV your tortoise is getting at all times.
ok, the way his enclosure is set up I have options to mount it a good distance if needed. what kind of meter, I've never heard of anything like that lol. I'm prepared to invest in a healthy tortoise as long as it's not a ridiculous number... then I can do with less expensive for now How much UVB is he supposed to be getting? just when I think ive learned all the major points, here comes another lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ok, the way his enclosure is set up I have options to mount it a good distance if needed. what kind of meter, I've never heard of anything like that lol. I'm prepared to invest in a healthy tortoise as long as it's not a ridiculous number... then I can do with less expensive for now How much UVB is he supposed to be getting? just when I think ive learned all the major points, here comes another lol
This is the meter:
https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Opinion vary on how much UV. There are two ways to look at it:

1. Higher amounts of UV for shorter periods each day, to simulate what happens outside. UVI readings of 5-7 for 3-4 hours a day here.
  2. Lower amounts of UV left on all day. UVI reading of 2-4 here.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I generally have to replace those bulbs after 2.5 to 3 years. As they slowly weaken over time, I lower the fixture until I can;t safely lower it anymore - then I replace them.