UVB in the shade.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
There's no way to know how much UVB is in the shade without putting a meter there. What kind of shade is it? On a porch, covered by structure? Dappled under a tree?

I think when I measured the UVB on my back (covered) porch it was about 10% of the amount in full sun, 30 µW/cm2 vs 300 µW/cm2, I don't think I've measured UVI there. Even so, I don't think I would rely on only shade UVB, I'd want to provide at least the opportunity for basking in sun.

Spring Hill Florida
There's no way to know how much UVB is in the shade without putting a meter there. What kind of shade is it? On a porch, covered by structure? Dappled under a tree?

I think when I measured the UVB on my back (covered) porch it was about 10% of the amount in full sun, 30 µW/cm2 vs 300 µW/cm2, I don't think I've measure UVI there. Even so, I don't think I would rely on only shade UVB, I'd want to provide at least the opportunity for basking in sun.
In my garage.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
What type of tortoise?

I live in North Florida, and in a day with a high UV index, I can get burned in 15 minutes or less (more like 10). Whether I could get burned in the shade... is debatable, but I would lean towards Yes, given enough time outside.

I don't think I'd get burned in the shade from a garage, though.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also had a question. The person that owned these torts before me did not have uvb for a year but would takre them outside a couple times a week would they have mbd.
Do they walk ok? Body up off of the ground.
Are their shells soft?
If not, they're probably fine

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
So do you think they would have enough UVB based off of the picture?
I don't have much experience with Russian tortoises.
I keep Redfoot only. That might work for them. But I also have a UV meter to check when in doubt.
I'd hazard to guess that with that arrangement and some outdoor time also, you'd be good.
But that is just a guess

Spring Hill Florida
I don't have much experience with Russian tortoises.
I keep Redfoot only. That might work for them. But I also have a UV meter to check when in doubt.
I'd hazard to guess that with that arrangement and some outdoor time also, you'd be good.
But that is just a guess
Sorry to annoy you so much. But would like 2 hours a week in sun with option to shade be good.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sorry to annoy you so much. But would like 2 hours a week in sun with option to shade be good.
I'm not being annoyed.
Not at all.
It's just I don't have the answer. In fact, if I suddenly was given a Russian, I'd be asking the same questions.
Russians need more heat and more UVB than the tortoises that I'm familiar with