Uvb for Marginated tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Hi all, I have a coil bulb, I've had no problem with it but I'm concerned as its UVB rate is below 5, so I'm looking to change it with "Reptile Vivarium Fluorescent Tube Light T8 UV UVA UVB 10.0 10W 12"" is this the right bulb for my tortoise???

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I have heard the coil bulb
is bad for their eyes. That
is good you want to change
bulbs. :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
10.0 will be ok. I would use a 5.0 though and get him some outside time when weather permits.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Hi I've been checking out the Solar UV index for the area the Marginated tortoise is from, is that the same index that's used on the bulbs? If so it ranges from around 3 to 10. So a five as you suggests sounds about right as he will be outside in the summer months and he'll get the high doses from the sunlight.

The coil bulb I got claimed not to be associated with the reported eye problems due, as it's UVB was under 5 and the problems occurred above this. But after reading so much about it I lost trust in the product, and their research, even though I've no problems and his eyes are fine, you just can't take chances!

Thanks both for your replies

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
jamiescorer said:
Hi I've been checking out the Solar UV index for the area the Marginated tortoise is from, is that the same index that's used on the bulbs? If so it ranges from around 3 to 10. So a five as you suggests sounds about right as he will be outside in the summer months and he'll get the high doses from the sunlight.

The 5.0 and 10.0 refer to the percentage of light emitted that is UVB. It's not the same as the UV index. Choosing the 'right' bulb is also dependent on your setup. The 10.0 can be mounted higher than the 5.0 while still allowing a decent amount of UV to reach the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.