UVB bulb, reptocal, and white poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurosawa

5 Year Member
Hello to all, me again. Id like to report that my tortoise is eating like a pig, though he/she seems quite pleased with the surroundings. Though incredibly fussy when being cleaned with a q-tip. However, I am slightly worried, I installed a slimline light fixture with a 7% UVB lamp, and use reptocal once a week when feeding my my baby sully Reese. yet, he still secretes white poop at times along with the normal stuff. Am i doing something wrong or should be concerned about something?? thanks

a quick add on, after looking at a few pics from 3 months ago, it appears that my tortoise is growing, so thats a good sign right? His plastron is a tad soft, not squishy or anything, it just has a little give to it. how hard/soft should the shells be? hes less than a year old, at about 3 inches in length.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
white poop is usually due to too much oxalates or protein. What are you feeding him? Make sure if you are using spring mix you take out the baby spinach (hard rounder leaves). Occ. white poop (once or twice a week) is o.k., more than that can be bad.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Torts use the same device, their tail, to excrete both solid and liquid waste from. So what you are seeing may actually be urates which are excreted from the bladder and may come with or without liquid. Passing Urates is a pretty normal function of torts to rid the body of excessive waste products. Like oxalate salts etc. It is a problem, or so I hear if it is really grey in color, if it is really solid, or gritty. That is usually a sign that your shelled one needs more hydration.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Reese has a right cute belly (plastron). I would say if he is only doing it once in a while and it is not hard or gritty he is more than likely OK. Do you soak him? If so how often, and for how long? Young torts will have some give to the plastron. I can't really tell you how much because my touch and yours would be different. But if his top shell is quite pliable it is too soft. If you can see the shell move when he breaths it’s more than likely too soft. But from the pic it looks good. It looks to me as if the pink and white between his scutes are new growth lines and that would mean he is growing, which is a good thing. The easiest way to tell with a hatchling is to weigh them. You will notice a weight drop usually before they show any signs or symptoms of getting sick. You can pick up a pretty inexpensive scale at Wal Mart in the Kitchen section. I like the ones in grams.

Kurosawa

5 Year Member
ive been soaking him every day for about 20 minutes for the past several days, yet his poop is still white and grainy. i also moisten his spring mix and carrots. The humidity in the cool area is around 60. Is there anything else i can do to keep him from getting dehydrated?

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
My Sulcata also had a white urate when he pooped this afternoon.It looked like white toothpaste.Is there anything to worry about?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.