5 Year Member
Hi everyone I've just ordered the 12% T5 arcadia and am now worried it'll
Be too strong. It will hang 12" from my tortoise. Any advise truly welcome
Thanks.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Heya. The light you ordered is the next one I'll be trying out in the future. What type of tortoise do you have? I doubt that light will be too strong compared to natural sunlight. How many tubes will be in the fixture? Will you be using a reflector hood? If you're worried about the brightness, add real or fake plants to the enclosure to create shady spots and dappled light.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Let's continue in this thread since the other was already hijacked.

It could be workable with some creativity.
Can you post photos of the tortoise living quarters?

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Well good news is I've just
Spoke to the owner where I've ordered it and it's now on backlog. Due next week. I've asked him and he's changed the order to a 6% one.
Charlie is a 6 month hermann and here is his home
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391623493.752819.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391623534.233779.jpg

Also the kit does come with a reflector and will only use the one tube.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Why not use the 12%? Hermanni experience lots of sun in the wild. The reflector is ESSENTIAL for the set up to work?

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Do you not think it will be too much uvb or too much light as it's only 12" above the substrate. I'm really confused a only want the best for my tortoise.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
FLINTUS said:
Why not use the 12%? Hermanni experience lots of sun in the wild. The reflector is ESSENTIAL for the set up to work?

I believe hood and reflector is not the same. Some hoods (fixtures) are lined with a reflective material to increase light and uvb efficiency. If this isn't what you meant, I'm sorry.

And I do agree with Flintus. The D3+ (12%) says that the UVB readings were in the 80 uW/cm^2 range (from what I've read on lightyourreptiles.com) at 12". The sun can produce more than twice that. This is just from my crappy memory. If you need the sites that I've read for reference, let me know and I'll search for it.

Here's a site with the solarmeter 6.2 numbers: http://startortoises.net/uvb-readings.html

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: UVB 12% T5 arcadia tube

pfara said:
FLINTUS said:

I believe hood and reflector is not the same. Some hoods (fixtures) are lined with a reflective material to increase light and uvb efficiency. If this isn't what you meant, I'm sorry.

And I do agree with Flintus. The D3+ (12%) says that the UVB readings were in the 80 uW/cm^2 range (from what I've read on lightyourreptiles.com) at 12". The sun can produce more than twice that. This is just from my crappy memory. If you need the sites that I've read for reference, let me know and I'll search for it.

Here's a site with the solarmeter 6.2 numbers: http://startortoises.net/uvb-readings.html

You are talking about T8 tube. We are talking about T5 tube. It is much stronger then T8 tube.

1391626826160.jpg

How long and wide is the open portion of the table? Are you planning on mounting it to the side of table facing down or in the middle of the table?

Since you can change your order, I'd get this set up. Tube Length will depend on size of your table and placement. It comes with 12% tube already. Maybe we can work with 12% depending on where you mount it.

http://reptiverseuk.co.uk/arcadia-t5-slimline-vivarium-luminaire---limited-stock-1175-p.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
mikeh said:
You are talking about T8 tube. We are talking about T5 tube. It is much stronger then T8 tube.

How long and wide is the open portion of the table? Are you planning on mounting it to the side of table facing down or in the middle of the table?

I was talking about the T5 HO as well. Here is the information I read from http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/trblhot524qu1.html :

"In this configuration: UV B is 87 uw/cm2 @ 12" with NO screen. UV B is 61 uw/cm2 @ 12" with screen* *NOTE: UV reading may vary depending on density of screening."

Again, I'm new to T5 HO and so any information is definitely worth reading to me. But this was the only site that sells Arcadia in the states I found (though, admittedly I haven't done too much reading) with UVB numbers.

mikeh

5 Year Member

pfara said:
mikeh said:

I was talking about the T5 HO as well. Here is the information I read from http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/trblhot524qu1.html :

"In this configuration: UV B is 87 uw/cm2 @ 12" with NO screen. UV B is 61 uw/cm2 @ 12" with screen* *NOTE: UV reading may vary depending on density of screening."

Again, I'm new to T5 HO and so any information is definitely worth reading to me. But this was the only site that sells Arcadia in the states I found (though, admittedly I haven't done too much reading) with UVB numbers.

The manufacturer specs are different then lightyourreptiles site. I believe manufacturer info is correct, but I will call lightyourreptiles to inquire.

So I had a lenghty conversation with the owner of lightyourreptiles. The readings output on his site are for the tubes mounted in his specific fixtures.

Arcadia readings are done with their fixtures and reflectors.

Fixture architecture and reflector shape may greatly effect UVB output.

The op will be using single tube with reflector that wraps all the way around the tube. For his purpose the output will match the one listed on Arcadia site.

The fixture at Lightyourreptiles referred to has different style reflector, a single dome reflector covering all 4 tubes with one being UVB tube. This and the tight spacing of the bulbs reduces output and is reason for lower UVB at the same height.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Thankyou so much for helping. The enclosure is 32" X 18" but I'm going to make it bigger soon.

It'll be mounted on a shelf above it - 12". My heat bulb is there and temps are spot on.

mikeh

5 Year Member
We are getting closer to the most ideal choice:). I still would like to know if it will be mounted on the shelf above the middle or above the side of enclosure.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
It'll be mounted on the bottom of the shelf along the right hand side of the enclosure length ways.

mikeh

5 Year Member

Tinkerbell said:
It'll be mounted on the bottom of the shelf along the right hand side of the enclosure length ways.

In that case you can go with 24" 12% T5 as only one side of the tube will be utilized. If you upgrade to a larger table soon, I would consider going with 36" length even if for now part of the fixture will be hanging over the hide. For the future table also consider mounting it in the middle and obviously few inches higher.

This is the set up I would get, 24" or 36"
http://reptiverseuk.co.uk/arcadia-t5-slimline-vivarium-luminaire---limited-stock-1175-p.asp

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Hiya. Sorry for all the questions but just want to get it perfect and I'm still fairly new at all this. What's the difference between the one you recommend and the one I ordered. Really appreciate your input [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

mikeh

5 Year Member
Appears there is no difference in performance. One is externally ballasted, the other is internally as all in one fixture.
They both will do same job. I am just used to internally ballasted fixtures. Little easier to mount and its all one piece. The reflector on all in one fixture is protected by housing, less prone to accidental bending.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I use the T5s in my red foots enclosure, so I was talking about T5 rather than T8. The owner is very interested in tortoises, and believe me, at 15 inches mounted with a reflector it provides a relatively normal UV level. If you want, I can give you details you can contact him directly.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Good morning. I think I'd rather use the other one rather than an all in one then I
Would only need to replace the bulb when the time comes. So you would recommend 12% then going by my
Table measurements ?

mikeh

5 Year Member
With either fixture you only replace the bulb when needed. Go with either one, they both work the same. 12% will be ok given where u r mounting it. Try to take out some substrate just directly under the UVB tube to somehwhat increase the distance.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Thanks very much Mike for all your input and helping me [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES] really appreciate it.