UV induced cancers re; Torts Tufts University response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
There has been some questions raised about Ultra Violet Rays and Cancer in Torts or How much UV do they need. Sometimes our research comes from people but I contacted Dr. Mayer at Tufts University and this is the response I recieved from Dr. Mayer.

Hi Robyn,

Regarding your question of UV induced cancers:
There is not publication out to date on the correlation. However, I
have seen UV induced uveitis due to an increase exposure of UV rays in reptiles. A paper has recently been presented at the avian meeting on UV induced uveitis.
Your question is very valid but it would be very difficult to
scientifically prove the correlation.
The species you mentioned in your email are naturally exposed to a lot
of UV rays and are most likely fairly resistant. If we see cancer in
the future, I would expect it in other species such as the red footed
tortoise or so.
However, it is good to keep this potential problem in mind and not to
over do it with exposure to strong UV bulbs.

I hope this helps a bit.

Sincerely, Joerg

Dr. Jörg Mayer
Clinical Associate Professor
Head of Exotics Service

Tufts University
Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
200 Westboro Road
North Grafton, MA 01536

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow Robyn, I didn't know that you were doing that. Now I'm afraid for Dale because he said if there was one it would be the Redfoot. :( Very interesting I didn't know if tortoises had cancer or not I guess what he's saying is they don't either is that correct?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Sigh. "More research is needed. Until then, follow a cautious middle road." This is such a common statement in trying to raise tortoises, or do a lot of other things.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In case someone doesn't know, "uveitis" refers to eyes. So he's seen an increase of UV induced eye problems in reptiles.

And thanks for that, Robyn.

Yvonne

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Wow, Robyn.
It's good to be proactive to find more about such stuff. thanks for the info.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Great post!
Something to think about also is that although RF's were mentioned, There are other tortoises that need even less light than RF's.
Example;
Yellowfoot - Geochelone (Chelonoidis) denticulata
Forest Hingeback - Kinixys erosa
I have seen both of these kept, Or should I say ATEMPTED to be kept!?
Outside with very little cover (overgrowth). Just a pen with a water bowl & hide box.
The YF's faired slightly better than the FHB's. The FHB's lasted less that 2 months.
Why? Because people for all there intelligence cant seem to figure out the obvious.
1)To listen to people that know more about a subject than you do.
2)Research & verify there information.
3)Verify Species & Local, Its not as hard as you might think. But most people even breeders have NO idea where there animals actually originated.
4)This one is a recent add on, Check a regional climate map! The digital climate maps on line are fantastic resources. You get rain fall, temp, humidity, elevation & more with just a click! If we had this in the 70's instead of telephones, letters & lots of drugs, the animals would have done much better.

Yep! I know, I know!
Shutting up now!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Robyn, you are a star, thank you so much for doing this research and sharing the results with us.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks all, I just had moment and wanted to know what the statistic were. I had read of a Aldab that had a Mast Cell tumor in its throat, though not thought to be caused by UV, it got me to thinking- sometimes I do, do that. LOL. So I asked

t_mclellan you make some very good points. There are other torts not just RF that need special consideration when it comes to UV and even our Desert type torts tend to go to shade or into burrows during the hottest most damaging times of the day. If we watch the behavior and tune into it perhaps we will learn lots more.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks Robyn!

I think it is good to provide artificial UVB if tortoises are kept indoors, but also keep lots of hiding places so they can hide from the light...and therefore UVB.

I have about 4 hidespots for my tortoises: one in the hot spot, one in the colder area, and two designated grass clump areas. I find tortoises in all of the areas at different times of the day. Most inactive tortoises, especially youngsters, seem to prefer to hide rather than stay in the open. I think tortoises that are kept under UVB lights constantly without places to hide are more susceptible to these UV induced cancers.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Thanks Robyn!!! Its refreshing to see people like you who actively research tortoises to identify the best possible care for them. This is great forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.