Urine as Chemical Weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
My two torts have a habit of peeing when I am holding them in the midst of cleaning them. I wonder if this is a defensive mechanism which some animals adopted. Anyone encountered this behaviour? Just a curious observation due I was a bit annoyed when the pee lands on my legs.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Reptiles seem to do it often.. Snakes more so.. But not sure if it's defense or mother natures fight or flight response.. Where the animal discards any weight that might slow it down..

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I think for a tortoise or turtle it's more about being scared and in a response to that fear they pee. When I was stationed in Fort Hood they would remind us to not pick up the turtles if they are crossing the road because if you pick them up they will pee and then they will end up dieing from dehydration..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I was always told it was a defense mechanism, when a predator picks up said tortoise they often pee, so that the predator would then drop them, I can' find any type of verification on this, besides second hand tales.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
dmmj said:
I was always told it was a defense mechanism, when a predator picks up said tortoise they often pee, so that the predator would then drop them, I can' find any type of verification on this, besides second hand tales.

I can see that as a good reason, I know when mine pees while I am caring it, I will hurry up and get him to where I am going so I can put him down...:D

seanang168

10 Year Member!
I was watching a documentary about chimps on tv and they actually use pee as a defence mechanism when they are on the tree top and the tigers below actually ran away! So it really could be a defence mechanism ha

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
seanang168 said:
I was watching a documentary about chimps on tv and they actually use pee as a defence mechanism when they are on the tree top and the tigers below actually ran away! So it really could be a defence mechanism ha

i think that i have read something like that before too. Neat huh :D LOL

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
seanang168 said:

i do that to people who knock on my door

jbean7916

5 Year Member

seanang168

10 Year Member!
That is an interesting article about the 91 year old man! So urine is an universal weapon! Actually my torts poo at times when I am holding her vertically, I guess aided by the gravity. It is quite funny to see her face as she pooed. Her eyes would be wide opened as if going to pop out!

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Urine a lot of trouble! lol

My torty does pee on me often when I pick her up. I think it's a defense mechanism. And it works. I'll then put her down and go wash my hands.... :D

lttjun

5 Year Member
i rather think that they were scared more than defense mechanism but i also know that they use it to keep the humidity in their enclosure when the temperature becomes to high cause some times i saw them sleep on their own pee

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Not sure if it's self-defense mechanism or just being scared, but I observe this behavior in my stars and leopards, but not in my testudos (hermanns and greeks).

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Just an update on this discussion, I was browsing a book on reptiles recently and the expert writer mentioned that reptiles tends to defecate when handled. So this is an established scientific observation then. :)

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
When I took my star to the vet's, she climbed onto my palm and sat there for a while with her eyes closed. Then the nurse took her away to weight her and held her in her palm. She immediately peed and pooped on her. Maybe that's her weapon.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
My sully pees on me as well, usually when I pick him up and try and examine his shell, I have to press on it rub it etc, make sure it is progressively getting nice and hard, he hates it

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Sammy said:
When I took my star to the vet's, she climbed onto my palm and sat there for a while with her eyes closed. Then the nurse took her away to weight her and held her in her palm. She immediately peed and pooped on her. Maybe that's her weapon.
This is funny Sammy. So did u make up for this to the nurse? :p

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Apologized and told her 'my tortoise doesn't normally do this, u must be special'

Missi

5 Year Member
Naples, FL
Just adding my two cents that my reptiles do this as well as my amphibians! :rolleyes:

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
In South Africa in parts of the Karoo, angulated tortoises have been known to squirt pee up to 1m with deadly accuracy. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.