urgent (won't open his eyes)

voggy

little charlie has been with us a week now really worried for him today got up in the night to check on him I am fearing the worst! He wont open his eyes at all today has been soaked for 20 mins. I still have not received my MVB lamp or my new substrate ive ordered. So he has only got the ceramic lamp on constantly. He is laying with his neck stretched out and making noises can anyone help please

voggy

like a little cry opening it mouth wide! I only have one heat source at the moment temp with ceramic lamp about 90 now, turned it up as thought he was too cold he went in the garden yesterday and opened his eyes sat in the sun but closed his eyes and hid again when I out him back!

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
The best thing you can do right now is see an experienced exotic vet. The eyes closed and not eating part is usually from being too cold and wet, the noise part could be a respiratory infection.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
can you confirm the temp and humidity levels? Turning the temp up a few degrees is usually the 1st step but you need to confirm the temps you've already got.

voggy

was 90 under ceramic side but got no other temp in the viv my coir bricks just arrived so now he will have moisture cos I was wrongly advised aspin! awaiting my MVB bulb because he has no light when I take him outside he opens his eyes!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I also think you need to take the tortoise to a qualified tortoise vet. It sounds to me as if he's gasping to breathe (maybe a respiratory infection)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
we can only guess but i'd be willing to bet that your temps (other than directly under the bulb) are too cold and he now has a respiratory infection. If it were me, I'd bump the temps and take it to the vet.

voggy

I am going to contact the supplier she said any problems we could return him. So sad. my little boy will be gutted. thanks folks

voggy

I have turned up the temp added the new coil and dampened it so now I have humidity as he was on aspin advised by breeder but it was very dry still waiting on his MRB bulb to arrive