URGENT!! Sick Sulcata Baby.. :(

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'd be careful with the hay. Hay molds very quickly if it gets wet. Mold is the last thing your baby needs to be exposed to.

I'm so glad to hear he's perking up a bit.

I've never heard of doing food soaks, but it sounds reasonable. I'm looking forward to seeing how they go for you.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
That seems like progress! I’m so sorry if I missed it in this thread, but does your baby have a name?

tortlvr

Today is my birthday!
San Diego Ca
Thank you for the quick reply!! My temps were higher but the people on the Facebook group told me to lower them. Should humidity be 80 at night as well??

I got him from a breeder in Florida, Shadow’s Reptiles.

He hasn’t budged from 35g since the first time I weighed him (sept. 7)

I haven’t seen any yellow spots, but he looks yellow to me, all over, compared to a few days ago..

Any idea what could be going on??
[/QUOTEl i zoomed in and it looks like a yellow spot near the carapace. Hope it isn't.

andrea0226

Corpus Christi Texas
Andrea, how is he doing? Is he keeping his eyes open? Eating anything?

And how are you doing?
You both are in my prayers! ? ?

Thank you for your prayers and for checking up!! ❤️ I’m ok, it just sucks to feel so helpless. He’s lost 5 grams. But he has been pooping and not eating. He’s hanging in there. Eyes were closed all day today so I upped the humidity. I’d been keeping it low since he’s soaking all day. I actually have a question. I always read that the humidity shouldn’t be higher than the temp. But is this just for lower temps? For instance, if the temp is in the 80’s, can the humidity be in the 90’s? Also, how do you feel about critical care and force feeding? I ordered some but not sure if I should attempt it. I just feel so bad for him. But he is fighting.

shawnateerow

Maurice
My baby girl can't eat on her own. Try 1 of those plastic medicine droppers and put baby food with 1/3-1/4 warm water in it. Hold it up to him and put a little drop on his mouth and he may go for it. My girl loves it

Attachments

• 20200930_091858.jpg
    20200930_091858.jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 14

andrea0226

Corpus Christi Texas
My baby girl can't eat on her own. Try 1 of those plastic medicine droppers and put baby food with 1/3-1/4 warm water in it. Hold it up to him and put a little drop on his mouth and he may go for it. My girl loves it

Yes, that’s what I was thinking. Maybe not prying his mouth open, but just letting the food dribble down and hopefully into his mouth..? I might try that tomorrow. Thanks!! She’s so cute!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thank you for your prayers and for checking up!! ❤ I’m ok, it just sucks to feel so helpless. He’s lost 5 grams. But he has been pooping and not eating. He’s hanging in there. Eyes were closed all day today so I upped the humidity. I’d been keeping it low since he’s soaking all day. I actually have a question. I always read that the humidity shouldn’t be higher than the temp. But is this just for lower temps? For instance, if the temp is in the 80’s, can the humidity be in the 90’s? Also, how do you feel about critical care and force feeding? I ordered some but not sure if I should attempt it. I just feel so bad for him. But he is fighting.

I've never heard that the humidity shouldn't be higher than the temp. Humidity is relative to the temp. Warm air is able to hold more water than cool air. I don't see what that "rule" means.

In my enclosure, Sulafat's hide inside is at 84°F. The humidity inside the hide stays at 85-90%. Maybe whoever says that means to reinforce that a humid place needs to be kept warm for a tortoise. Cold + damp = RI. But to me that "rule" makes no sense at all.

As for force feeding...I would NEVER try it. It's way too easy to cause the tort to aspirate some food or liquid. Then it will likely develop aspiration pneumonia. If forced feeding is necessary, a vet should put a feeding tube into the tort's neck, and feeding should be done through it. If the tortoise will eat from a needleless syringe, that's OK.

andrea0226

Corpus Christi Texas
Y
I've never heard that the humidity shouldn't be higher than the temp. Humidity is relative to the temp. Warm air is able to hold more water than cool air. I don't see what that "rule" means.

In my enclosure, Sulafat's hide inside is at 84°F. The humidity inside the hide stays at 85-90%. Maybe whoever says that means to reinforce that a humid place needs to be kept warm for a tortoise. Cold + damp = RI. But to me that "rule" makes no sense at all.

As for force feeding...I would NEVER try it. It's way too easy to cause the tort to aspirate some food or liquid. Then it will likely develop aspiration pneumonia. If forced feeding is necessary, a vet should put a feeding tube into the tort's neck, and feeding should be done through it. If the tortoise will eat from a needleless syringe, that's OK.

Yes, that’s what I was referring to. Cold and damp and respiratory infections. That’s what I was afraid of, him choking on the liquid if I tried force feeding. But I’m gonna try the syringe thing tomorrow. I’ll see if he comes around.

shawnateerow

Maurice
Yes, that’s what I was thinking. Maybe not prying his mouth open, but just letting the food dribble down and hopefully into his mouth..? I might try that tomorrow. Thanks!! She’s so cute!!

Let me know how it goes! ??

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

how is your doing today by the way?
I am still worried and praying for though both!!! ????????

shawnateerow

Maurice
how is your doing today by the way?
I am still worried and praying for though both!!! ????????

Making it..she seems to have slowed down a bit the last 2 days but I managed to find another vet and I have an appointment tmw morning. Im trying to get some antibiotic injections and some antibiotic powder for soaks. Hopefully this vet will be more knowledgeable than the other one??? thank you for keeping us in your prayers❤

shawnateerow

Maurice
Y

Yes, that’s what I was referring to. Cold and damp and respiratory infections. That’s what I was afraid of, him choking on the liquid if I tried force feeding. But I’m gonna try the syringe thing tomorrow. I’ll see if he comes around.

Mixing a little hot water in the baby food should bring it close to room temp for him. Put a little speck on his mouth then wait a bit with the vial still in front of him. He should hopefully open up, and squirt in a little at a time each time he opens up, giving him a chance to swallow in between.. I get the small Gerber jars. My girl loves the ones with spinach and/or peas that has apple or pear in it also. The little bit of sweet entices them. Good luck!!

andrea0226

Corpus Christi Texas
Mixing a little hot water in the baby food should bring it close to room temp for him. Put a little speck on his mouth then wait a bit with the vial still in front of him. He should hopefully open up, and squirt in a little at a time each time he opens up, giving him a chance to swallow in between.. I get the small Gerber jars. My girl loves the ones with spinach and/or peas that has apple or pear in it also. The little bit of sweet entices them. Good luck!!

Thank you!! I hope she pulls through. They sure are little fighters!! But it sucks to feel so helpless? The lady that’s been guiding me through this said sometimes they get worse before they get better, so hang in there!! ❤️

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Making it..she seems to have slowed down a bit the last 2 days but I managed to find another vet and I have an appointment tmw morning. Im trying to get some antibiotic injections and some antibiotic powder for soaks. Hopefully this vet will be more knowledgeable than the other one??? thank you for keeping us in your prayers❤

Ok... keep me posted. I wish you luck and let’s both of us keep good vibes.
I am sending you both all my good vibes and positive attitude.
Tell her from me she has to knock it off.
she just has to make it.!!
We will not accept ANYTHING else.!
So she should keep giving her will to live and get into her soaks and keep eating her foods.
maybe tell her if she gets better we will have lots and lots of treats for her AND TOYS!! ❤️?
Whatever works!