URGENT Please help! Speedy is deteriorating.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Okay I will thanks. Should I ask for another cloacal swab too? Like I said last he managed to scrape a bit of dried poo from Speedys cloaca and could see worm eggs in it. How will a cloacal swab properly identify the parasite if I have no stool sample? Thank you.
The signs of parasites don't necessarily have to be in an actual stool. There may be residual worm eggs, amoebae, and oocysts from cryptosporidium clinging to the walls of the cloaca. If these can be found via a swabbing and identified microscopically, the proper treatment(s) can be initiated.

Roxanneizded

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
He adminstered it through a tube into his stomach. What do you suggest I mention to the vet ( e.g feeding tube etc)? Or should I let him come to his own conclusion? Thanks again.
Just listen to the expert (the veterinarian). Feeding tubes get dislodged easily and the tortoise could aspirate with a feeding tube at home. Try to write down all your questions for the vet before you go. That way you don't forget anything. Everything will be ok.

Speedy101

North East England
The signs of parasites don't necessarily have to be in an actual stool. There may be residual worm eggs, amoebae, and oocysts from cryptosporidium clinging to the walls of the cloaca. If these can be found via a swabbing and identified microscopically, the proper treatment(s) can be initiated.
That makes sense. Is amoebae a type of Protozoa?

zovick

10 Year Member!
He is not going to go downhill soon. I know the veterinarian will take the appropriate actions on Tuesday. He has to heal his GI tract first. The owner is using a product that has some nutritional value including some kind of simple sugar in it.
I know you are trying to be upbeat, but this tortoise cannot even walk and is not eating. He is already going down the hill.

Speedy101

North East England
Just listen to the expert (the veterinarian). Feeding tubes get dislodged easily and the tortoise could aspirate with a feeding tube at home. Try to write down all your questions for the vet before you go. That way you don't forget anything. Everything will be ok.
Thank you I will, worst part is I can’t go into the treatment room with speedy because of COVID so I have the nervous wait outside!

zovick

10 Year Member!
I hate to disagree with you, but a properly placed feeding tube will NOT be displaced easily, nor will the tortoise aspirate what is given to it through the tube if it is done in the proper quantities.

You do know that we are talking about a tube placed into the stomach via a small incision in the neck area, correct?

Roxanneizded

Texas
I know you are trying to be upbeat, but this tortoise cannot even walk and is not eating. He is already going down the hill.
Im not trying to be upbeat. This tortoise is well hydrated and alert. That's half the battle right there. And the opinion of the vet is more important than the alarmist opinions of other owners. Have a great day.

Roxanneizded

Texas
I hate to disagree with you, but a properly placed feeding tube will NOT be displaced easily, nor will the tortoise aspirate what is given to it through the tube if it is done in the proper quantities.

You do know that we are talking about a tube placed into the stomach via a small incision in the neck area, correct?
Correct. And they can dislodge easily. I quit; you win.

Speedy101

North East England
Speedy has just release a lot of urates, never seen so much! As I am writing this even more has come out. A big blob of it. Has he been holding this in? This is not a normal amount for him.

Attachments

• 9A6344B0-CA3D-46B0-B088-293B1088F0E9.jpeg
    9A6344B0-CA3D-46B0-B088-293B1088F0E9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • FD505429-E527-49C4-A180-2C7C4DFD9E86.jpeg
    FD505429-E527-49C4-A180-2C7C4DFD9E86.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52

Speedy101

North East England
Fantastic news! Speedy has begun to eat today after expelling the urates. He is eating lettuce at the moment! Will try him with some more nutritious foods later but I’m just so happy he is eating something!!!!! This has given me hope!

Attachments

• 5AC24189-17CC-4981-B79F-CE89811EA4CF.jpeg
    5AC24189-17CC-4981-B79F-CE89811EA4CF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Fantastic news! Speedy has begun to eat today after expelling the urates. He is eating lettuce at the moment! Will try him with some more nutritious foods later but I’m just so happy he is eating something!!!!! This has given me hope!
wow Good!!! But do NOT stop the carrot soaks just yet.

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Speedy has just release a lot of urates, never seen so much! As I am writing this even more has come out. A big blob of it. Has he been holding this in? This is not a normal amount for him.
He HAS to feel at least a little better after expelling all if that...:)