Urgent! Please help! (Possible respiratory infection)

Wiwita63

Location (City and/or State)
Algeria
First his eyes were swollen, so I took him to a vet, she was rude and almost refused to touch him, but she gave him eye drops and a shot to help him move because he wasn't very active. IMG_20200503_234758_525.jpgHe seems in real pain ? I'm taking to another vet 10 hours from now (I made an appointment yesterday) and it's very far away, so our neighbor is taking cause we don't have a car. Also I think he has constipation issues, he was sleeping normally until he woke up and seemed in pain and started pooping. The think is while no one is watching him he tends to eat hair off the ground when he's inside, even though we clean the floor sometimes a hair or two get left behind, I always catch him and remove it before he swallows it, but I'm not always home and my family doesn't care that much for him, so unfortunately he does and it seems like he pooped some hair ? my parents brought him when I was little and they don't even care for him, I have to do everything and we don't even have an indoor enclosure because they don't think he needs any special care, I try do my best for him, but until I'm 18 and can have a credit to shop online card and have my own job and money, I'm stuck here. We put him in our balcony where there's a little dirt and some plants and a lot of sunlight, but he likes to sleep inside. I'm still trying to get an indoor enclosure and hopefully the vet can convince my parents that we need one. He looks like he's dying ? he's not moving at all and only breathing a little from his mouth while his eyes are closed shut and I can't do anything except wait. Please, let me know if there's anything I could do to help.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
First his eyes were swollen, so I took him to a vet, she was rude and almost refused to touch him, but she gave him eye drops and a shot to help him move because he wasn't very active. View attachment 293322He seems in real pain ? I'm taking to another vet 10 hours from now (I made an appointment yesterday) and it's very far away, so our neighbor is taking cause we don't have a car. Also I think he has constipation issues, he was sleeping normally until he woke up and seemed in pain and started pooping. The think is while no one is watching him he tends to eat hair off the ground when he's inside, even though we clean the floor sometimes a hair or two get left behind, I always catch him and remove it before he swallows it, but I'm not always home and my family doesn't care that much for him, so unfortunately he does and it seems like he pooped some hair ? my parents brought him when I was little and they don't even care for him, I have to do everything and we don't even have an indoor enclosure because they don't think he needs any special care, I try do my best for him, but until I'm 18 and can have a credit to shop online card and have my own job and money, I'm stuck here. We put him in our balcony where there's a little dirt and some plants and a lot of sunlight, but he likes to sleep inside. I'm still trying to get an indoor enclosure and hopefully the vet can convince my parents that we need one. He looks like he's dying ? he's not moving at all and only breathing a little from his mouth while his eyes are closed shut and I can't do anything except wait. Please, let me know if there's anything I could do to help.
Get an indoor pen now the sooner the better he or she is no less important than an dog or cat. What do you feed him or her and the floor is horrible because of hair and other stuff they could eat and get sick. Wait for @Tom or @MichaelL or some one more experienced with Russian to come.(make the title something that you will know what it is when you read it.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Make sure he doesn't ever go on the floor again. Eating hair is horrible, and can easily be prevented. The least you can do is get a rubbermaid large tub for $15 and fill it with dirt and a hide. That's the minimum, and better than not having an enclosure. Does yours have an enclosure? Also, I would give it long, warm soaks. Those usually help with many problems. What is the diet? Does it have a heat lamp when inside? I really hope he turns out okay.

Edit: Just reread your post and saw that it doesn't have an indoor enclosure. Is it possible to get a rubbermaid bin?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Are you able to provide him with some heat? He's too cold on the floor. This is probably the first most important thing to do. If you could put him in a big box and put a light bulb over him, that would help. You want to put the light at one end, so he can get away from the heat if he wants. Drape a sheet or blanket over most of the box to help keep the warmth inside.

Are there any little bubbles coming out of his nose?

What do you feed him?

Could you put him in a pan of warm (not hot) water and let him soak for a while? The water should come up to just over where his shells meet. Don't let the water get cold. Stay with him so he can't drown.

Are you in Algeria? Are you able to get to stores and buy storage bins and pet stuff?

Hopefully the vet will know how to care for him.

I'm so sorry your tortoise is sick! And I know you're scared! We'll do all we can to help you! ?