Urgent: Matteo Looks Sick

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
In the top pic (which I assume is the newer one), is there sphagnum moss on top of the coco coir or is that dried coir which looks lighter in color?

If it is dried coir, I think you have it too dry. I would add more water and mix it all up till it looks damp on top. The photo below shows some of my Western Hermann's babies on pure coco coir. The coir in this photo is as dry as I ever let it get before adding another quart or two of water and mixing it all up again.

View attachment 317107
Thank you. Especially for the pic. No moss. I’m still getting the hang of things, especially sing 100% coir. I was trying to let it dry out because I’d soaked it but looks like I now need to wet it again. Thanks.

Jan A

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder, CO
I agree, he's most likely fine. The burrowing is a good sign. I think some of the stuff on the forum can make you think that if they don't poop for a day or two, then there's need to worry.

Tracking weight on a weekly basis will tell you a lot about how he's doing. At this size with my Greek, I was seeing 2-3 g of gain per week. Sometimes they may plateau for a week and then pick back up. I also tried to weigh on a consistent day each week, after a poop and a soak. As long as you don't see a plateau for a month or more, I doubt there's a need to worry. They grow at different rates as well, and should grow faster in ideal conditions in captivity as was noted in your other thread.
Thank God, no one tracks me after a poop & a shower.... oh, never mind....