Urgent! Identification and help!

Sophy

Hello everyone!

My name is Sofia and I live in Egypt. A tortoise was given to me yesterday and I need help with identification of species and gender (and maybe age?), as well as how to care for him/her in the best way. And with this I mean that I want to know everything from what to feed him/her to the most basic stuff, since I'm completely fresh to this and I really want the best for him/her because I fell in love immediately.
rakish2.png
rakish4.png
rakish1.png
Do you have any tips of good pages I can read about this?

To me he/she looks a bit dry, am I supposed to give him/her a bath? Also he/she didn't drink or eat anything yet. :/

I would really appreciate if someone took a look and told me what they know, thank you!

rakish3.png
One more thing, as you can see on this picture above, his/her tail is always to this side and it's very hard to move, I actually think it makes him pain... is this normal?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! Why do you get this tortoise? It hears like a "surprise"?
So you say you live in Egypt..
In Egypt there live testudo kleinmanni. But yours isn't 100% a kleinmanni. At the hole North African coast live 3 subspecies of testudo gracea.
T. Gracea gracea T. Gracea nabulensis and T. Gracea marrokensis. Normally only testudo gracea gracea live in Egypt but the population of the 3 species are mixed every where. So you can find all these 3 species every where. Also the species are mixed among each other. So what I want to say :-D is that it very difficult to identify the subspecies of the North African coast. Because you often have bastards. But I think you've got a gracea gracea. And I think it is a female.

Sorry I mean male :-D and maybe he is between 15 and 30 years old.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
It would most likely be a graeca graeca judging by your area. However, I'm tempted to say Morrocan due to the colouring.

Sophy

Thank you everyone! Your help has been much appreciated.

He drinks now, which is great but he still doesn't eat too much. I also put him in a big plate with shallow water which he loves, and now he is much less dry and seem more active. He also made a pee and poo! :) Exciting.

He was given to me as a surprise, yes. My friend's daughter owns him but she left Egypt to go to Italy, and they didn't know anything about him.

I have one more question. His nose has like lime/green/yellow jelly inside, at least it looks like it. I saw it in this macro photo below. Is this normal?
IMG_0591.JPG
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
No that's not normal... It looks like a slimy nose. It the nose runny? Or is the smile only in the nose?

Sophy

I never saw it drop from the nose or anything like this, only like this in the nose. What should I do?