URGENT!!! Help with baby bird!!!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
There has been some construction going on in my apartment building, being done by my FIL's company. They stumbled across a birds nest while installing new windows and moved it to a tree. When they moved it, they also put it on a large chunk of the fluffy yellow insulation. A baby bird is now stuck in the insulation with only it's head free and is cheeping like crazy. The birds have been touched and mom isn't coming back. The siblings are gone and this is the only one left. I'd like to help it.

How can I get it free from the insulation without hurting it? Is there a safe way for me to house it until it can be free on its own? What do I feed it? I don't have a lot of money to do this, but I can't just let it struggle and suffer and die. It's very young, just starting to get feathers, and is very hungry. He opened his mouth when I came near for food.

First and foremost is freeing it from the insulation.

PLEASE HELP!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Can you take a picture to see what you are dealing with?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Yeah. We're gonna go try to gently free him from the insulation now, he's struggling hard and I don't want him to hurt himself. I've got a small rubbermaid that I put paper towels and some dry sphagnum moss in. We're gonna keep him in there for a bit until we have something else figured out.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Here he is. We got him free pretty easily his siblings died in the insulation.

He's being noisy and hopping around a little bit in the bin.

Attachments

• WP_20140617_18_13_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140617_18_13_47_Pro.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 56
  • WP_20140617_18_14_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140617_18_14_17_Pro.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 52
  • WP_20140617_18_14_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140617_18_14_23_Pro.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 53

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
We called a wildlife rehabilitator to see if she had any instructions or could take the little one, but it went straight to voicemail, don't know when she will call back.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Looks like sparrow or fintch. Take a cereal bawl and make a tight small nest out of dry grass and straw just so that the chick fits in.
We have same chicks now inside a low bush. Parents take bird seeds out of feeder, peel the shell and give it to their young. Its prob crushed and moistened with saliva then fed. Maybe feed it with tweezers. It looks few days old it should survive while you do some research. Keep in warm place.
Here is what ours look like, about 5-6 days old.

Attachments

• 1403049780828.jpg
    1403049780828.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 33

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
We got him to eat a small mealworm. Gonna make him a little house and get him under some heat.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Make it tight like photo above so he can't move around much. Not too much direct heat to prevent dehydration. Keep us updated.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
he's very antsy, likes to move around. Going to get him a nice little nest though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can make a gruel of baby food cereal and dropper it into his mouth. Sparrows eat more seeds than bugs, so I wouldn't feed the baby too many meal worms.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
The site I read suggested a mixture of moistened cat food (link above) and a higher protein content as babies?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Its too little to process solids. You can grind seeds, and a little bit of water. If you use a rounded chopstick to feed it, you'll be fine. Or a dropper like Yvonne said.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Every so often, add a ground mealworm for protein. But not often. SLOWLY, grind the seed less and less, so with time its almost straight seed.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Keep him warm. That's the biggest worry a heating mat under a bowl of nesting would be good.
When I madea nest for my baby doves, I used hay, and one pulled apart cotton ball in the very bottom where they sat. Hay is kind of hard, and could break its skin.