Upper Respiratory Infection

lauriekubas

I need help, please!!! I am a new Hermann's owner and new to this forum, my little guy is four months old and has a Upper Respiratory Infection and has been to the Vet with a round of five Batryl shots,and he is still showing signs, blowing bubbles and gasping. He is eating,defecating,urinating and is quite active, the problem is the Vet doesn't know what to do next, where I live the Vets know little to nothing about reptiles. She connected with a Vets on a network but was advised to use medication we may not carry in Canada. The vets on the network advised that Hermann's do not require extra humidity. I was under the assumption they required around 70 per cent??? I'm so confused. What do you guys think. Here are my care facts.
Basking Temps. 95 degrees
Ambient Tepms 80-85 degrees
Cool Side Temps 71-75 degrees
UVA/UVB Mercury Vapor Bulb 160 watts
Heat Bulb 100 watts
Radiant Heat Panel
70 per cent Humidity / Reptifogger
Exoterra Enclosure 36x18x18
was on sterilized soil now on towels
Diet:
Endive,Escarole,Collards,Mustard,Dandelion,Clover,Grasses,Chia,Chicory,Squash,Parsnips
Calcium/Multivitamin/Probiotics-daily
Warm showers nightly before he got sick now warm soaks every couple of days
Got him from a local Petstore
What should I do next, I love this little guy to bits and pieces. Any and all advice will be greatly be appreciated from you great knowledgable people. Thank you, kindly

Killerrookie

Has your vet use Fortaz?? I just got rid of a respiratory infection 2 weeks ago so let me show you what I used for mine.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425448832.119693.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425448862.083246.jpg Ok so the giant syringe is a antibiotic but you put it in a nebulizer like this one ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425448967.088632.jpg the tortoise is suppose to breath it in and it worked and I got some eye drops from the vet to which helped and the injection is Fortaz

lauriekubas

lauriekubas

Thank you so much I'll ask if we have that medication in Canada. Did the Vet use Baytryl at all for yours? That is just wild, so much stuff, so glad it worked for you. Such a worry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Laurie, and welcome to the Forum!

I wouldn't go with any other antibiotics at this time. You've already stressed the poor thing out with five days of a pretty harsh antibiotic (Baytril). Heat the habitat up so it's 80-85 all over with no cool side. As long as the tortoise is eating and otherwise acting normally, don't do anything. Just wait it out.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I need help, please!!! I am a new Hermann's owner and new to this forum, my little guy is four months old and has a Upper Respiratory Infection and has been to the Vet with a round of five Batryl shots,and he is still showing signs, blowing bubbles and gasping. He is eating,defecating,urinating and is quite active, the problem is the Vet doesn't know what to do next, where I live the Vets know little to nothing about reptiles. She connected with a Vets on a network but was advised to use medication we may not carry in Canada. The vets on the network advised that Hermann's do not require extra humidity. I was under the assumption they required around 70 per cent??? I'm so confused. What do you guys think. Here are my care facts.
Basking Temps. 95 degrees
Ambient Tepms 80-85 degrees
Cool Side Temps 71-75 degrees
UVA/UVB Mercury Vapor Bulb 160 watts
Heat Bulb 100 watts
Radiant Heat Panel
70 per cent Humidity / Reptifogger
Exoterra Enclosure 36x18x18
was on sterilized soil now on towels
Diet:
Endive,Escarole,Collards,Mustard,Dandelion,Clover,Grasses,Chia,Chicory,Squash,Parsnips
Calcium/Multivitamin/Probiotics-daily
Warm showers nightly before he got sick now warm soaks every couple of days
Got him from a local Petstore
What should I do next, I love this little guy to bits and pieces. Any and all advice will be greatly be appreciated from you great knowledgable people. Thank you, kindly

Also cut the reptifogger....this is a time that the baby should not be kept so wet, well---the baby should have access to a warm humid hide and not the entire enclosure....the temps you show drop down into the 70's---this is a dangerous mix.... if you are going to insist on keeping the humidity high in the entire enclosure then the temps day and night should never drop below 80, ever. There should also be a basking spot that reaches 100-110 (directly under the basking source)....

Sterilized soil? What exactly is that?
I also would put the tortoise back into its normal earth type substrate and make it deep enough for the tort to dig down into --but not wet substrate...