Upgrade of outdoor enclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpham93

5 Year Member
What do you guys think? is the hide too big?

Enclosure.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
That looks great! Is that a little Russian in that hide? It is kind of big, and they do like tight spaces to burrow in.
I think you can use that pot, but dig a hole and submerge it more, so it is at least half buried. That way they have more soil to dig around in when inside of it.
I like the fact that you have provided several options for your tortoise to hide in and climb on.

I would probably remove most of the grass, and replace with untreated soil, and seed with a good Tortoise weed mix.
The other suggestion is to have pavers here and there and areas with gravel or small river rock (you can get this bagged at places like Home Depot, pieces are about 2 inches) just placed on the ground in patches. This helps keep their nails trimmed. And if you feed them on a paver (after they trash their weeds, lol), it helps trim their beaks.

It is really shaping up!

bpham93

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
That looks great! Is that a little Russian in that hide? It is kind of big, and they do like tight spaces to burrow in.
I think you can use that pot, but dig a hole and submerge it more, so it is at least half buried. That way they have more soil to dig around in when inside of it.
I like the fact that you have provided several options for your tortoise to hide in and climb on.

I would probably remove most of the grass, and replace with untreated soil, and seed with a good Tortoise weed mix.
The other suggestion is to have pavers here and there and areas with gravel or small river rock (you can get this bagged at places like Home Depot, pieces are about 2 inches) just placed on the ground in patches. This helps keep their nails trimmed. And if you feed them on a paver (after they trash their weeds, lol), it helps trim their beaks.

It is really shaping up!

Thank you so much for the advices, ill get on right to it! I'll keep it updated :)

bpham93

5 Year Member
RE: Update of outdoor enclosure!

Some changes i made in the past few weeks. Took out the large hide and put in two smaller ones. I also separated chowder and chewy because chowder is wayy to aggressive. I think she's much happier by herself. Took out the sweet potatoes because they aren't too good for the torts. planning to build another cinder block hide for chewy, but that wont' be for another few days. might add some sun bathing spot for them also, i didnt' think i need too because it gets so hot here usually 90-100. Planning to add a lot more dandelions. As soon as i planted them, chowder completely destroyed them. hope you guys like the pictures : D

Added two hisbiscus tree in the enclosure, probably more in the future. got them all over my yard, didn't know my dad bought so many.

Enclosure 6.jpg

planted tons of dandelions, lets hope they grow. Also added a cinder block hide for chowder just incase he needs to hide from the sun.

Planted dandelions.jpg
Enclosure 5.jpg

This is Chewy and her home. Just added some thistle and dandelions, i'm sure she'll love those!

enclosure 4.jpg

Chowder chillen in the morning sun

Chowder chilling.jpg

I'll keep it updated as i keep improving!

Last edited by a moderator:

bpham93

5 Year Member
Any suggestion what i should do next to improve? i'm not quite sure what else to do at the moment. :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.