updated leopard indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
My leopard tortoise is now 9months old and 150grams. I was using an upside down tupperware as a humid hide and he no longer fit through the opening!

Re-doing the hide led to re-doing the entire enclosure. I am very happy with it!!

My humidity averages at 80% but has never dropped below 50%. My cool temps average 80F and my basking temp averages 110F. At night a CHE placed over the center of the enclosure keeps my tank minimally at 80F in the corners.
I have a large rock from my yard on a big mound of dirt as the basking spot. It is surrounded by fake plants and moss. These stay very humid and are a favorite spot for my leo. I now use a flower pot on its side filled with dirt and moss as a hide.
I have some fake plants throughout the enclosure and 3 real plants growing around my water dish. They have taken root and are do great in the tank.

My little one is very happy in his new arrangement. With it being cooler out right now he spends more time in here than outside so I am glad he is happy.

Here is my 9month old during a soak
16gaeir.jpg

the full view of his indoor enclosure (had to wipe the glass for pictures!)
zo7xig.jpg

how it normally looks from the humidity
261otq8.jpg

the basking area
24v464g.jpg

him digging into the moss
9blpqr.jpg

his new bigger hide
20z43yb.jpg

cruising his place
2hn556p.jpg

2q3sqpf.jpg

thanks for looking!!

and thanks to TFO'ers who share their ideas for me to use :)

...oh and a pic of him enjoying some so cal sun during winter :)
abhwrt.jpg

someone once said our weather is the reason we endure all the california craziness!! so true...

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
great pics! do you have the top of the enclosure covered with anything other than the screen top and three lights? how does the humidity do at keeping up? how often do you spray/add water?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
here is a picture of the top
105zndu.jpg

I have aluminum foil over the whole screen with holes cut out for the lights.

The far left light is a 25watt just used to light up the cool end. The center holds a 75watt CHE and the far right light is the basking bulb. It varies from a 65watt flood lamp during summer (when the ambient room temperature is warmer) to a 100watt during winter.

I do not use any artificial uv bulbs. My guys gets regular outside time in the so cal sun. The outdoor pen is 20'x6' and very well planted.

I spray every morning with hot water in a spray bottle. I might spray once or twice more throughout day if I see the humidity drop to about 60%. I'm a stay a home mom so I get to monitor it often. But if I am gone all day I come home after no additional spray downs and it is still above 50%. I spray again after the lights are off and the CHE is on.
So I'll say I spray on average 3x a day.. sometimes more but sometimes less.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks everyone.

Someday i would like to keep all live plants in there and copy more of terryo's style ;)
But for now i stick with fake plants and transplanting patches from the outdoor pen...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Very nice set up, and the tortoise looks great!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I love your set up!! The fake plants look great! You have one lucky tort in there!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Looks nice. That's a good idea for anyone using an aquarium for their young tortoises.

critters88

5 Year Member
May I ask what size tank that is,the measurements not just the gallon size. Im getting a leopard in the spring and I have a huge tank sitting in my garage doing nothing and I love your set up.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Beautiful leopard, and really nice, very well planted enclosure.

Rambo

5 Year Member
Southern California
He's so adorable :), I just want to eat him up. I hope one
day mine will look as great as yours:)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks everyone.

The tank is the 40 gallon Zilla brand reptile tank. I believe its 36 or 38x 18x 16...if i remember correctly.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
I am not a big fan of tortoises inside aquariums but you did an amazing job! It really looks like the jungle in there and you also have a very nice looking leopard tortoise. Good job! :D

critters88

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
Thanks everyone.

The tank is the 40 gallon Zilla brand reptile tank. I believe its 36 or 38x 18x 16...if i remember correctly.

great that is just a tad smaller then the one I have, does the glass seem to bother him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.