Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
thanks, i will get something bigger for water. The bamboo leaves were imported from Madagascar.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Great improvements on your radiated and ploughshare setups. :cool:

As for the sea turtles though, no offense, but you should really give the hawksbill to a research institute or better, release it back into the ocean. It will be much happier there. Sea turtles are some of the most graceful and otherworldly creatures on the planet, but the fact is they don't do well in captivity unless in huge setups dedicated to them.
An example of this is a group of green sea turtles in the Bahamas. They're raised in a large lagoon with thousands of gallons of sea water pumping through it. The setup is maintained by dozens of professional keepers, who always released the hatchlings into the nearby ocean to support their conservation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please excuse a little off topic note to Tony: Tony, you need to update your bio. You are sounding quite a bit more mature than the 14 years you've posted in your bio. You have done a whole lot of growing since you joined the forum 3 years ago!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
tortoises101 said:

As for the sea turtles though, no offense, but you should really give the hawksbill to a research institute or better, release it back into the ocean. It will be much happier there. Sea turtles are some of the most graceful and otherworldly creatures on the planet, but the fact is they don't do well in captivity unless in huge setups dedicated to them.
An example of this is a group of green sea turtles in the Bahamas. They're raised in a large lagoon with thousands of gallons of sea water pumping through it. The setup is maintained by dozens of professional keepers, who always released the hatchlings into the nearby ocean to support their conservation.

+1 to this. Unless you have like 1000 gallon tanks with natural sea environment, I would prefer the sea turtle to be released back to the sea.

emysemys said:
Please excuse a little off topic note to Tony: Tony, you need to update your bio. You are sounding quite a bit more mature than the 14 years you've posted in your bio. You have done a whole lot of growing since you joined the forum 3 years ago!

LMAO!

Radiated

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:

Thanks, I will see what I can do about it. Any other suggestions on the tortoise setups?

Radiated

5 Year Member
Here are a few rare turtles I keep ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364787433.280910.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364787455.429868.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364787471.079805.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364787488.580246.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364787502.579208.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364787516.230626.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364787531.513377.jpg

And a Aldabra I'm going to buy:
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364787571.591715.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364787594.397546.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
That aldabra looks like healthy growth as far as pyramiding, is that back scute indented a sure sign of mbd tho?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Radiated said:
Here are a few rare turtles I keep

Very neat turtles you have there! Quite the collection. It's amazing that the plough share is easy to get in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Blake m said:
Radiated said:
Here are a few rare turtles I keep

Very neat turtles you have there! Quite the collection. It's amazing that the plough share is easy to get in your area.

I think it's quite sad that all of these animals are so easily available. Over consumption like this is a huge part of the problem, and why Ploughshares are in the state that they are. Most of these things should be left to qualified experts with well established breeding programs, or zoos.

Radiated

5 Year Member
I dont think it has MBD, but not sure, i brought it home anyways. In Asia these turtles are all bred, only few are WC, thus one of them is extinct in the wild so it is CB. Whats wrong with that? Its captive bred anyways.....

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
First, wrong. They're not currently extinct in the wild. Captive bred or not (skeptical without proof), you're still working with nine of one of the world's rarest tortoise. If you don't have the resources and ability to breed these very rare tortoises, then what are you doing with such a large colony? Think about what's best for the species as a whole.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Steve_McQueen said:
First, wrong. They're not currently extinct in the wild. Captive bred or not (skeptical without proof), you're still working with nine of one of the world's rarest tortoise. If you don't have the resources and ability to breed these very rare tortoises, then what are you doing with such a large colony? Think about what's best for the species as a whole.

I never said anything about the tortoise being extinct in the wild, I was talking about the turtles. Why are you so against this, just because you dont have them doesnt mean no one can. People across asia keep them as pets and when they are large enough people will breed them.

Yellow Turtle would agree that these are all CB, its impossible that they are from the wild or they will be completely gone. Read the other thread where they discuss this. And Steve_McQueen, that Aldabra does not have MBD....

Status
Not open for further replies.