Update

phengx83

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Hill, FL
Have not posted anything for awhile but here is some update on Tank and Bowser my Aldabra tortoises. Tank is used to us now. He is very friendly and able to hand feed just fine. Loves being rub. Bowser is coming along but occasionally still darts off and a little timid but better then before. Bowser not even come near the enclosure when we were around. Tank is the more wider dome and Bowser is the higher dome. They are growing fast. Trying to get them out as much as I can to enjoy the sun and rays before permanently being housed in their indoor enclosure for the winter. Any advice or input will be much appreciated on anything I can make their lives better. Thank you all.

Attachments

• Bowser enjoying sun and grass.jpg
    Bowser enjoying sun and grass.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Tank and bower wants more.jpg
    Tank and bower wants more.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Tank and Bowser enjoying sun and hibiscus.jpg
    Tank and Bowser enjoying sun and hibiscus.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Tank enjoying sun and hibiscus before the winter.jpg
    Tank enjoying sun and hibiscus before the winter.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 36

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
Can you share the indoor enclosure please?
Would it be acceptable if you left them outside but provide a heated hideout?

phengx83

Spring Hill, FL
At the moment I have them in a 4' tub with heat and UVB bulb on a simple stand and a regular Box for a hide. Nothing fancy. I don't plan on keeping them indoors long. Ill try to get some pictures uploaded. I would say yes as long as the hide is secured and heated for extreme cold dependent on species but I don't want to give you inaccurate information. I'm also a new tortoise owner but been getting good tips from the veteran members and keepers here on this forum when I joined. I pretty sure there is a ton of great info on this site. Im pretty sure if you post it someone here will be able to give you valuable and accurate info on that.

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
With the climate in Florida you should be able to keep them out with a basic heated shelter. I plan on doing a smaller version of toms 2 door hideout soon and I will post pics when I start working on it. I enjoy seeing your pics and watching your babies grow keep sharing them with us!

phengx83

Spring Hill, FL
Ill definitely try it when I am more comfortable in my carpentry skills but yes tom has some nice builds. I am unfortunately not close to that level of carpentry lol. I have a 10 feet wide by 10 feet deep and 6 feet high enclosure coming for indoors so ill post that setup when complete but Thank you. I will definitely keep posting.

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
Neither am I but I am lucky to have a father in law who's a retired carpenter! I will be taking pics along the way as I build it and share in Toms post.

phengx83

Spring Hill, FL
Here is the torts being put inside for the night because of the cold. Like I said before their night enclosure is just a tub and a night heat lamp. This is temporary. Waiting for my bigger more permanent enclosure to get here.

Attachments

• going in for the nite.jpg
    going in for the nite.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 17
  • going inside for the night.jpg
    going inside for the night.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Indoor night house.jpg
    Indoor night house.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 17

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
Here is what I’m housing my Aldabras in for the winter. They go outside for an hour or 2 a few times a week now, when the sun is out. This enclosure is 4x8x3 pvc, I have each of them in there own enclosure, but they get along great together.

Attachments

• 72864CFA-C97D-42C4-8754-34E0F7AA3429.jpeg
    72864CFA-C97D-42C4-8754-34E0F7AA3429.jpeg
    710.9 KB · Views: 21
  • C45C54A5-3D9A-4D7A-BB16-875ABAB3321D.jpeg
    C45C54A5-3D9A-4D7A-BB16-875ABAB3321D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 078F9E54-DCF8-4C58-88B5-AB4476061CA4.jpeg
    078F9E54-DCF8-4C58-88B5-AB4476061CA4.jpeg
    973 KB · Views: 22

phengx83

Spring Hill, FL
Another nice day today to be outside for the torts. happy it is sunny and nice for a little.

Attachments

• Bowser basking.jpg
    Bowser basking.jpg
    899.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Bowser outside.jpg
    Bowser outside.jpg
    871.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Bowser soaking in the sun.jpg
    Bowser soaking in the sun.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Tank Basking.jpg
    Tank Basking.jpg
    663 KB · Views: 14

phengx83

Spring Hill, FL
Another nice day out. Torts munching on some mix of spring mix, hay pellets, and hibiscus. Cheat day is on Mondays and Fridays. Gras and hay is offered everyday. Enjoy your day everyone. :)

Attachments

• cheat day 1.jpg
    cheat day 1.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 9
  • cheat day 2.jpg
    cheat day 2.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Cheat day.jpg
    Cheat day.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
Your aldabras look about the same size as mine ,they are around 1400g. I am looking forward to mine going outside some tomorrow, it is suppose to be @80 and sunny

phengx83

Spring Hill, FL
That's awesome. You're torts also looks healthy and smooth shell. Always a great day for torts when its nice out. Have not been weighing mine but maybe I should to document their growth what do you use to weigh them? Will any old scale work?.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Digital kitchen scales. I weight weekly and note down in a book. Fast way to know if there is a weight loss issue etc... . Yours looks happy well done.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Thank you Sarah. I will go pick one up tomorrow.:)
Just to add... i do not know the anticipated weight of your tortoise you may need digital human weigh scales if they exceed the kitchen scale limit. Also I weigh in a container ...so set scales to zero with container on scales and then place inside. They have tendency to walk off the scales!