Update to Tico's indoor enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Tico had outgrown is original humid hide so it was time for an upgrade. I wanted to try and provide him w/ a larger hide while at the same time not giving up to much surface space.

For his hide I used a plastic tote, drilled holes all over the lid, and then I placed the lid on upside down. I added a basking rock and filled it with dirt and planted some moss and chia seeds. Whenever I spray down the moss and seeds the water filters down through the holes and adds moisture inside of the hide.

I did this on Sunday and already it's looking a little more green. The temp is staying right around 82 and the humidity hasn't dropped below 95% in the hide. Any constructive criticism is welcomed.

Before:

IMAG0177.jpg

After:

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Well done. Tico looks spoiled. If you guys ever get another tortoise, he might not ever forgive you. :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Vinnie, that is one of the best hides I ever saw. What a great idea. I'm thinking of copying that concept for a little boxie enclosure I'm making for outside (Christmas tree storage bin). Thank you...I love it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Vinnie:

I really like that idea. For some unknown reason, climbing on top of the hide is just a wonderful pastime. The way you've made it, he's not going to topple off like they usually do, and end up on his back! Nice!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That is amazing! Might copy your idea when Lucy gets a little bigger.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
onarock said:
Well done. Tico looks spoiled. If you guys ever get another tortoise, he might not ever forgive you. :)

He might just have to deal w/ it, we are thinking of getting another in the near future.

terryo said:
Vinnie, that is one of the best hides I ever saw. What a great idea. I'm thinking of copying that concept for a little boxie enclosure I'm making for outside (Christmas tree storage bin). Thank you...I love it!

Thanks Terry! I'm hoping that once I plant some more grasses and the already planted seeds start growing, the roots will drop through the holes to create even more humidity and a natural feel for a burrow.

emysemys said:
Hi Vinnie:

I really like that idea. For some unknown reason, climbing on top of the hide is just a wonderful pastime. The way you've made it, he's not going to topple off like they usually do, and end up on his back! Nice!

Now he acts like king of the hill in there! He is already comfortable moving in and out, up and down, and all around the new hide.

Thanks everyone for all the comments, Tico really seems to enjoy the new hide!

Status
Not open for further replies.