Update pictures of our Cherryhead Dale

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I thought that I would post some updated pictures of our Cherryhead, Dale. He is about 10 years old now. We have two females for him, but have not yet put them together since the girls are younger. We had gotten Dale for our son for Christmas a few years back. At that time I had posted some pictures of him and a few members said that he was probably shipped over from Brazil since he had a sticker mark on his Plastron. I think that it was Terry K that had said that at the time. Anyway, we think he's turned out to be a beauty. I have him inside now in our kitchen and he follows me everywhere making that noise that they make. He also follows around that Labradors. They don't really know what to think about him, although they do enjoy when he leaves his pumpkin and butternut squash for them. :DDSCN4695.JPG DSCN4673.JPG DSCN4671.JPG
DSCN4688.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4669.JPG
    DSCN4669.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I tried to add these, but they didn't take so I'm adding them in a new post. DSCN4701.JPG DSCN4669.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should post more often. We miss you. I always show your indoor habitat that you had in the boys' bedroom when folks are looking for RF habitat ideas. Do you still use that one?

The tortoise looks great!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Awesome

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Very handsome!
How old are the females? When will he meet them?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you Yvonne. I do still have it although it is outside housing Houdini for the winter. My husband insulated it for him so he can stay warm. I keep him in it at night and let him out in the daytime. I have a pig blanket inside for him to use. Today it was 72 so I think all of the torts enjoyed their few hours outside.

The females are around 5 years old. I will probably put them together in the summer months. The funny thing is that I don't have any desire for them to breed, although I'm sure they do. :p I will post a thread on them soon so you can see what they look like too.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thanks everyone, but I can't take credit for his shell. When I got him he was smooth as can be. My other two that I raised from babies are not smooth like him. I'm not sure why that it. I know that others have their theories, but I have really no idea why Dale continues to be smooth and the girls are somewhat bumpy.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Very pretty coloring!
Do you have pics of the females?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Here are the females. Although I tried, they do not have a smooth shell like Dale. The marbled one is Ruby and the other one is Little Eddie. Although Eddie is younger, she is the bigger of the two females. Ruby is one that I got from Tyler Stewart's and Eddie is one that I got from Douglas Beard. Dale we bought from a pet store.DSCN3845.JPG DSCN3847.JPG DSCN3857.JPG DSCN3859.JPG DSCN3860.JPG DSCN3865.JPG DSCN3872.JPG The last picture is of Dale. See the difference in the shells?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
They are great looking tortoises!!! So beautiful! I can't wait for my 2 cherry heads to get big! I got mine from Jeff-N2Torts on the forum.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Candy,
Those females are fine! Although they have some inflated scutes, it is all symmetrical and their shells are not flattened out or flared. Female cherry-heads are often more domed than males anyway and I would bet that even if 'perfect', both Little Eddie (great name) and Ruby would still be very different in shape to Dale. The prominent knob on the rear of Little Eddie's carapace is only slightly more inflated than many other female cherry-heads with otherwise normal shells. Plus, that marbling on Little Eddie is great!
Dale is a perfect beauty as anyone can see.