Update on the female Russian with prolapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Best of luck for TFO
Chainsawkitten I was told to give ringers injections into the area above front legs-both sides to split the amount each time , no idea what other vets say though.
Interested to see what Jacqui was told too

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kelly (tortadise) said to use the back legs as they would be easier. I just got done during her night time injection before I came on. It really doesn't seem to bother her much when I give the injection. Just a little unease, but I don't know if it's because I am holding her leg or the feel of the liquid going in.

She is still turning down the greens and even the Valantine's gift of a bit of strawberry. It may be only wishful thinking, but this am she seemed more alert then the last couple of days. Still no drinking when soaking and no expelling of anything. Good news is she is no worse, has not prolapsed again, nor do I see any drainage or smell from the tail.

Barb her soaks are combinations of the pedialyte, carrot juice or babyfoods and Oxbow critical care and then warm water. I am starting to think I should either be buying pedialyte and babyfood by the case or perhaps just buy stock in the company, or both. :rolleyes:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
Kelly (tortadise) said to use the back legs as they would be easier. I just got done during her night time injection before I came on. It really doesn't seem to bother her much when I give the injection. Just a little unease, but I don't know if it's because I am holding her leg or the feel of the liquid going in.

She is still turning down the greens and even the Valantine's gift of a bit of strawberry. It may be only wishful thinking, but this am she seemed more alert then the last couple of days. Still no drinking when soaking and no expelling of anything. Good news is she is no worse, has not prolapsed again, nor do I see any drainage or smell from the tail.

Barb her soaks are combinations of the pedialyte, carrot juice or babyfoods and Oxbow critical care and then warm water. I am starting to think I should either be buying pedialyte and babyfood by the case or perhaps just buy stock in the company, or both. :rolleyes:

LOL, I say buy the stock first then buy the cases.:D Well, if she's not worse, that's a good thing. Would be nice if she would eat. Glad the injections are going good for you and doesn't seem to bother her. Maybe she knows your just trying to help:) Keep up the good work. I have a good feeling about this one. Fingers still crossed and always good vibes coming to you both.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I just got home from having my daughter take me out for supper and for us to exchange our Val's day gifts. There was an OMG package on my front steps (but that's a tale for the chat thread). I then immediately, went and fixed TFO her syringe. I thought she objected just a tad more to it then normal, but still not much. I turned her around and thought her eyes were beginning to look less dehydrated. I sat her back down and went to get some romaine leaf. Still trying the romaine because I know she does like it and the added water content is a good thing. I ripped it up and placed it infront of her and started to walk away. Then I stopped in my tracks and watched. She slide back and then finally put her head down into the roamine. Then she grabed a bite!! At which point I raced to the laptop to share my news with you all.

TFO ate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She still has a long way to go, but I am feeling a huge relief at this point. Just had to share the great news with all of you who keep cheering her (and me) on.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's just fantastic Jacqui. Never so happy to see a tort eat I bet. I do think its going to turn out good. May take quite some time, but, I still have a good feeling about this one. Congrats on your second, third, not sure any more, which ever hurdle this one was:D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I know!! I am just so excited and happy!!! (can ya tell? :D ). She ate all of the first pile and I gave her more which she is working on right now.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Well, I gotta tell you, I just found this thread and I have gone thru a whole slew of emotions in just a matter of minits!

Jacqui, I am so pleased to hear it's all turning out so well! When I followed the link to the original post, I felt soo bad for your new lil friend and then for you and the stress of the whole ordeal! I must say the post from the last couple of hours made my night!

Warm Thoughts and Prayers headed your way!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
that is so awesome. You made my weekend Jacqui. I have been praying hard for that angel!!!

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I'm speechless, I cried when I read it. Jacqui that is Tortally AWSOME. I am so happy for you and her. BEST NEWS OF THE DAY...

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
What wonderful news!! I was thinking about TFO today. So glad to hear she's doing better.
Your doing a great job with her.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
YEAH, and I spent so much time posting on chat only to find it's been more than an hour and my post still isn't showing. I was so beside myself and said what a great mom you are. You have given our baby girl a fighting chance. Way to go Jacqui!!!!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
YEAH!!!!!!!! I am doing the happy dance in bed! You have done a marvelous job Jacqui! I am happy for you both! I think it can only get better from here on out! BIG HUGS to you Jacqui and to TFO. :) :)

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I am glad to hear she is starting to eat again. She is so lucky to have such a wonderful person taking care of her and for being able to give her the shots. I look forward to the post saying she is all healed and feeling normal again. Great job you are doing! Like others have said, this was such a sad post to read but am very happy to see that it's turning around.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Good news Jacqui, glad TFO is regaining her appetite!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Jacqui, you have done such a good job with TFO; advocating for her (fluids), keeping us posted.
The fact that she ate hopefully means the rest of her feels good enough to start working at the other end!

Amazing job, simply amazing.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I've only just seen this thread, too. How did that happen? Great six-page story! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.