Update on the female Russian with prolapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I decided to make a new thread and move it out of the health section, so we don't keep posting and covering up threads of folks with new problems to be helped on.

This was the thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-64938.html

This is what she looked like once I got her some what cleaned up two days ago:
027_zps40f0ddbb.jpg

By this morning, when I left for the Vet's I had the swelling down quite a lot and felt at that point if I had more hands I could even get it back in. Still I went in thinking the Vet could get it in, stitch her up, and other things. In hindsight, I should have taken pictures before I took her to the Vet so you could see how she looked at that point. Plus you might have gotten a chuckle on how I "bandaged" her up to keep a sugar coating on the prolapse. I had taken Saran to make a pad like bandage and then more to make strips to take it up further and her shell. To hold it in place since I could never get the Saran to hold, I took the bottom part of the leg of an old sweatpants leg. The elastic held it tight at the lower part of the shell (just above where the opening for her legs were) and then to hold it also up higher just under her front legs, I used a hairband. Looked funny, but worked well.

At the Vet's, as I was taking her out and unwrapping her, I found the smallest traces of a bowel movement. Up to this point she had had none. Now this was a new Vet to me, as the one I had worked with before had left the area. :( He came recommended to me by somebody who I think would be picky about their tortoise Vet. I ended up with very mixed thoughts on the man. He walked into the room acting very confident and knowledgeable. Didn't really let me talk much. He took her out of the room to work on her (I really like being able to watch my Vets work on my animals). He returned about 10-15 mins later with her prolapse back in and a stitch in her tail to try to hold it in.

The stitch stays in til Tuesday. With a prolapse it's ideal to have them fixed within 12 hrs (by the time I got her, it appeared she had hers for some time already). Now I kinda thought he would be taking off some of the dead matter, but it sounds like he did not remove any. He said the biggest worry is how much dead matter there really is. The more matter the higher the infection risk. He is giving her a 50/50 chance to make it.
:(

Now I get her home and she starts to make me feel bad. I mean this animal has been active, alert, personable, just a great tortoise. Now she is withdrawn into her shell. A short time ago as I checked on her, it appears she has thrown up a little undigested greens. :( It may be that she has finally gotten stressed out, I know I am.

I was also very worried about the fact that the Vet is worried about the high possibility of infection, but did not give her any antibiotic or give me any to give her. I talked to Kelly (tortadise) and he too thinks she should have some, so the sweet man is sending me some.

I started the morning very confident in her recovery and now tonight I am bottoming out and for the first time wondering about her future. That's the update, sorry that at this time I don't have more news or atleast better news.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I haven't been able to keep up with the progress as much as I would have liked too. Glad to see she hasnt really gotten worse, it sounds like anyway. I sure hope she pulls through. There are so many giving people on this forum, it's amazing. That is so nice of Kelly. Would have like to see your bandage job, sounds very creative. If there is anyway I can help, don't know how, being so far away, but if there is a way, let me know. Just wondering. Probably not at this point, but at any point of a prolapse, could perpetration H be used? It's suppose to be cooling and brings down swelling. Just curious. Fingers still crossed and happy, successful thoughts coming at ya. Of course you will, but keep us posted.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
She has you and a lot of prayers so she has the best chance possible to make it. They are strong and resilient little creatures.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Jacqui I'm praying and sending good vibes your way. I've been thinking of you two all day. :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Jacqui, I swear I wish I was with you when you brought her in! That dead matter needed to be removed. She's going to get an infection, I have no doubt. He didn't even give you antibiotics or pain medicine! Did he even say what organ the prolapse was? I don't feel very good about this. I'm sorry.

I'm sorry Jacqui. I'm not upset with you. I'm upset with the vet. He doesn't care if she lives or dies. He covered his _ss by telling you she has a 50\50 chance! What's that?! Can you go somewhere else before the infection gets into her blood? They need to get that dead matter cut out and reposition that prolapse in the right place, then stitched.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I hope the antibiotics help and she recovers. That vet sounds like my vet. Sort of an a**!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Well that was disheartening to hear. I am glad Kelly is sending antibiotics! That just blows me away that the vet didnt give any! Some people I guess! I hope she pulls through, and big hugs to you Jacqui! Give us an update in the morning please!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I think that is really suspicious that the vet took her out to work on her. Jeez, poor sweet tort. I hope she recovers quickly!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I guess there isn't another tort vet you could go to? I hope the antibiotics get to you quickly and I hope they help. Hugs and positive energy your way Jacqui. I'm sure she will be okay with you looking out for her. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Jacqui, that is so disheartening for you. You have certainly gone above and beyond.

I hope that she threw up because she is stressed over the vet visit and procedure, and not because of a bowel blockage. Did he say if you could soak her?

Best of luck to you and your new little Russian tortoise. Please keep us posted.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeah...they do that when they don't want you to see that they don't use any local anesthesia when they push and stitch her up. She probably has pain. I hope Kelly can give Jacqui some pain med too.

CtTortoiseMom said:
I think that is really suspicious that the vet took her out to work on her. Jeez, poor sweet tort. I hope she recovers quickly!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
lynnedit said:
Did he say if you could soak her?

He said no soaking until she get's her purse string stitch out. Once more not something I am really understanding the why of. The only possible thing I could come up with was maybe it could increase the chance of infection? Or perhaps it's the thought that the soak could cause her to try to clear what ever caused the prolapse in the first place and in doing so break the stitch and pop it all out again.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Jacqui said:
lynnedit said:
Did he say if you could soak her?

Jacqui, can you call the vet again tomorrow and ask him what the prolapse was? And, wasn't the brown dead tissue suppose to be cut out before suffing that mass back in? And, why didn't he give you meds for pain and antibiotic for infection? If, if she has a other prolapse, is there a vet who specializes in tortoises you can go to? Listen, if I'm becoming a pain in the _ss, just tell me to back off. In cases like this, I know I can be unbearable. :p That's why most doctors never liked me, and I never liked them unless I knew they were good. That's why my turtle is still alive. I put that vet through hell!

He said no soaking until she get's her purse string stitch out. Once more not something I am really understanding the why of. The only possible thing I could come up with was maybe it could increase the chance of infection? Or perhaps it's the thought that the soak could cause her to try to clear what ever caused the prolapse in the first place and in doing so break the stitch and pop it all out again.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I'm so sorry! I hope she pulls thru! My prayers are with both of you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui:

Don't worry about the dead matter not being removed. What happens is that it hardens off, similar to what a plant does. The dead part hardens up against the fresh "meat" and eventually will drop off away from the good part. I doubt it will become infected.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Actually that is similar in mammals/humans too. As long as it is kept clean, which you are doing.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
emysemys said:
Jacqui:

Don't worry about the dead matter not being removed. What happens is that it hardens off, similar to what a plant does. The dead part hardens up against the fresh "meat" and eventually will drop off away from the good part. I doubt it will become infected.

This makes me glad.. I hope so..

Status
Not open for further replies.