Update on Sheldon -- 9 years later!!!

joeblo

10 Year Member!
Hi all, hard to believe I am able to find this site and my login again after so many years!

Pretty interesting to read things I'd forgotten writing long ago. Very ironic about my comments on buying/building a new home in 2011 -- we didn't end up moving in until fall of 2014!!!

I didn't get around to finishing the basement until a year ago, and after that, it was kicking it into high gear to upgrade Sheldon's home!! And again, I fell into the spiral of indecision (I'd forgotten that the same thing had happened the last upgrade)... I bought a 125 gallon tank (72" x 18") second hand, but it had predrilled holes in the bottom due to having been a saltwater aquarium. Having driven a long way, I took it despite my misgivings, then I researched various ways to use or plug the holes. Eventually I decided to scrap the idea, despite this tank being a huge, heavy beast, and bought ANOTHER one, without the drilled bottom, and lugged the old one out and the new one in. ?

Then, more indecision. In the meantime, I neglected poor Sheldon in his current home, knowing that I'd be moving him into nicer quarters soon, which ended up being far longer than it ought to have been. Poor guy. Finally, I decided on my approach, which incorporated most of the ideas I had in his last upgrade -- a water area with filter and river rock, a raised platform with clay pellets layered underneath cypress mulch (no soil and sand as this dirties the water beneath the platform too much. And then most difficult was an aesthetic transition for him to easily get up or down. The platform and stairs were constructed from florescent light louver/egg crate stuff. Then I cut up a bunch of resin terrarium ornamental stones to create a veneer for the steps, and siliconed them down -- one of the big issues with his old setup was that I had the resin rocks stacked unsecured and he was constantly destroying the arrangement.

I was very relieved to get him out of his neglected current home. It's crazy that I've had this Gulf Coast box turtle for just about THIRTY YEARS, having gotten him when I was just in 5th grade and knew absolutely nothing about caring responsibly for him. He's gone from 10 gallon tank to 20 gallon to 40, every substrate under the sun, consistently low humidity for years and now I feel at long last he has a comfortable home. I still hope to one day do the outdoor enclosure, but I worry about animals getting at tough ol Sheldon. Still, maybe in future this will only be his winter home.

See attached for the end results. I hope everyone's doing well, human and turtle alike!

Attachments

• 2020-09-09 (2).jpg
    2020-09-09 (2).jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 2020-09-09 (1).jpg
    2020-09-09 (1).jpg
    767 KB · Views: 81
  • 2020-09-09.jpg
    2020-09-09.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I'm glad you found your way back to the forum after all these years Jim. Sheldon is a nice looking box turtle and I'm sure he loves spending time in the water portion of the tank.

Does the water underneath the land platform get filtered along with his pool water or is it sealed off from the dedicated water area? I like exploring methods of keeping box turtles and I'm curious about how this one works out over the years. @Moozillion has been researching black water habitats and I'm wondering if the cypress mulch, although water resistant, eventually releases tannins into the water.

joeblo

10 Year Member!
I'm glad you found your way back to the forum after all these years Jim. Sheldon is a nice looking box turtle and I'm sure he loves spending time in the water portion of the tank.

Does the water underneath the land platform get filtered along with his pool water or is it sealed off from the dedicated water area? I like exploring methods of keeping box turtles and I'm curious about how this one works out over the years. @Moozillion has been researching black water habitats and I'm wondering if the cypress mulch, although water resistant, eventually releases tannins into the water.

Hi PJay! The water is not sealed and circulates directly throughout. My experience with the previous tank is that it doesn't circulate that well -- when I pulled the platform out, there was quite a bit of soil still, though I've not used it for years. But the actual water itself should get filtered and does get drained out altogether monthly. I dreamed up a semi-elaborate cleaning setup that has worked well for me over the years -- I bought a gravity fed vacuum kit, an electric water pump, and a garden hose splitter with dual shutoffs. I hooked up the pump to one shut off, clean water to the other shutoff. Then the main connection on the splitter serves as bi-directional hose for draining and filling, depending on which shutoff is open.

With the basement buildout, I planned ahead and took it one step further -- I used to have to attach the water line to a faucet sink and the pump outlet to a toilet. Now I have dedicated water and drain hookups, so no more attaching and detaching between cleanings. The drain line is waiting on a garden-hose thread PVC connection to come in the mail -- for now , it is just sitting loosely in the drain pipe.

Attachments

• 2020-09-10 (1).jpg
    2020-09-10 (1).jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 2020-09-10.jpg
    2020-09-10.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Congrats on first, just being able to remember your login......that in itself is an achievement.....and of course being buddies with your guy since being a kid is really cool too! He is no doubt enjoying his new home. Nicely done!

A suggestion on draining, no offense of course to Joe...if you want a short & simple....God bless the Turbo-pump yup, as seen on tv. Some "CCS" is good "CCS".

Thanks for posting the pics and taking the time.....even folks like me who are new here, like hearing and seeing these stories....

jeff

Relic

Here
That's a fine looking box turtle. I've got an old female three-toed I acquired in 1973, and she looked old then (virtually the same as she looks now) and she has lived outside for the past 47 years. Yours would probably love summers outdoors. Mine also has a strange scute arrangement. They seem to match the sutures of the bone underneath. Never seen one like this before.IMG_9011.jpeg

joeblo

10 Year Member!
That's a fine looking box turtle. I've got an old female three-toed I acquired in 1973, and she looked old then (virtually the same as she looks now) and she has lived outside for the past 47 years. Yours would probably love summers outdoors. Mine also has a strange scute arrangement. They seem to match the sutures of the bone underneath. Never seen one like this before.View attachment 307021
I have to agree, that is a weird looking shell! It's certainly not holding her back at all, 47 years wow!!! Thank you for sharing

joeblo

10 Year Member!
*edit -- starting a new thread rather than continuing this one

Last edited: